Athena Audition or Dahlquist QX?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Jarek, Dec 31, 2003.

1. Jarek

Jarek Auditioning

I have a chance to pick up either the Athena
    ASB1
    ASB2
    ASC1 for about $500 Cnd new/slightly used

OR the Dahlquist
    QX6
    QX5
    QX60 for about $750 Cnd new/slightly used

I wouldn't be able to listen to the Dahlquists and I know that sound is subjective but could you guys give me your opinions on which speaker setup would be better, even if it's only in terms of build quality, etc.. [​IMG]

I will be using a seperate powered subwoofer with these, my receiver is the Denon avr1603.

How would the fact that the Dahlquists' are 6 ohm affect this comparison?

Thank you for any feedback/suggestions. [​IMG]

2. FrankHW

FrankHW Agent

I have the Dahlquist QX10s and QX60 across the front. Can't say enough good things about them. They're in a slightly better category of loudspeaker than Athena, although if you're strapped for cash the Athenas are pretty good. Dahlquists are very smooth in the midrange, and sound wonderful with female vocals in paricular.

I doubt the Denon will have a problem driving either speaker array, but you can contact Marc Hallam at Audioshop (www.audioshop.on.ca) who can provide more information.

3. Jarek

Jarek Auditioning

Thanks for the feedback.. [​IMG] My "concern" about the 6 ohm load was that it will produce higher power output on the amps but with higher distortion levels.

4. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

I really don't think I'd say that Dahlquist is " in a slightly better category of loudspeaker" When you are a division of API you're in a pretty good category.

I would put the AS-F2s in the same league as the Qx-9 EASILY!

I just purchased a set of AS-F2s from Future Shop and have spend about 20 hours listening so far. The tweeter is a little harsh right now but should smooth out soon

I was seriously considering the Qx9 for front and rear but talked myself out of it when I heard the Athenas.

Check for reviews on the B1's on the web.

I guess everybody likes the speakers they own!

Future shop had the b1s on for $150, the B2 for $200, and the C1 for $150(pick one of those up too[​IMG])

If I went with the B1s I'd buy 3 pairs, that way you your six speakers all ready.

Brent
    p.s. I Tried REALLY hard to get a single AS-F2 for my center channel but even Athena couldn't help.

5. Jarek

Jarek Auditioning

YupI already have a pair of B1's and teh C1.. just wondering if I should get a pair of B2's or sell everything and go fully with Dalhquist.

6. Steve Winkler

Steve Winkler Stunt Coordinator

Can't comment on the Athena's but I run a Dahlquist set up I really enjoy. QX-9's for mains and surrounds and the QX60c for the center. Picked up a pair of QX6's on Boxing Day for $128CAD, it was such a good deal I couldn't not buy them!! I agree with what Frank said, very smooth in the midrange, detailed highs, and surpising bass output. I hooked up the QX-6's to my main channels to test them out and they are incredible for their size. I'd be working on the price a bit more on the Dahlquists if you can, I paid $1500CAD for my set-up over a year ago. Visions has been discounting them lately making room for the new models.

Good Luck,

Steve