Athena Audition as first HT setup

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Jaspaul, Jan 4, 2004.

1. Jaspaul

Jaspaul Auditioning

I had previously looked at, and settled on, a Paradigm Monitor HT setup and I got some useful responses here about my proposed setup. Some unexpected christmas expenses have shot that idea down though [​IMG]

Now I'm looking at the Athena Audition line. I'm getting the guy at the local futureshop to setup this system in one of their demo rooms and listen to it:

AS-F1
    AS-C1
    AS-B1

for $675 canadian (~$500 US)...hometheatersound favourably reviewed this exact setup (I'd post the url but I don't have 15 posts yet)

I'm thinking of skipping on a sub for now 'cause I'm broke and getting a sub about a year down the road. I still haven't decided on a receiver yet so if you have any recommendations in the $300-400 US range I could get them to setup the speakers with that receiver in store and give it a listen.

I also know Athena is coming out with a dipolar surround in this line so I could go with this setup for now with something like a HK AVR330 and then buy the surrounds and move the bookshelves to the back for a 7.1 system in the future.

Any other recommendations in this price range?

2. Allen Marshall

Allen Marshall Supporting Actor

Welp, depending on how long from now your gonna get the sub you might want to see if you can afford the AS-F2's, they sound the same as the F1's IMO but the F2 has more bass. Do not get a yamaha reciever with these unless your treble deaf or something.

3. Dom P

Dom P Stunt Coordinator

I was in the same boat as you. Decided to pay a little more and get the Axioms.

Sounds like at least you'll hear the Athenas setup correctly. I had to listen to them at Best Buy. Everything sounds bad there. I don't know how they had the cross-over setup, but the F2s either didn't have much bass or weren't fed any. From what people say, they do have a nice amount of bass.

Start with good towers. Definitely get the F2s at least. R1s just came out. Those are the surround speakers.

ww.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=176556

For a receiver, try looking at last year's models from H/K. The black ones are from last year and silver ones from this year. Nothing really changed but the looks. The last year's models can be had at huge discounts. Try a H/K AVR 325. I was originally going to go with AVR230 but the 3XX series has 50Mhz bandwidth instead of 30Mhz and it's 7.1 setup. H/K is also one of the very few companies that rates their power output correctly or underrates them. Sony 100W = H/K 20W. Both would be around 30W true power.
    You can see more here.
    ww.geocities.com/Area51/Hollow/3401/ratevsac.htm

Do some searches. I learned alot just searching before I even made a post.

4. Adam.Heckman

Adam.Heckman Second Unit

Whoa. I think I'm missing something. AS-B1s = 400 AS-C1 = 180 AS-B1s = 160 right? 740 right? A shade more expensive than you're quoting. Just as a heads up, oh, in USD.

Anyway, I just purchased a pair of AS-B2 for my mains, as I am new to HT and on limited cash flow. I'm playing them through an entry level Denon reciever and LOVE them. Imaging is good, but a sub is needed with those.

I've heard your F1s and F2s. They sound great. Sub not 'needed'. Although I did hear them in a small room, if your HT room is large, then it'll soften the sound a bit.

Hope you enjoy your new purchase. Take it easy.

5. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

In canada on sale for Boxing day

As-F2 ....$600 a pair
    AS-f1 ....$400 a pair .... on sale for $375 now
    AS-B1 ....$150 "
    AS-B2 ....$200 "

Brent

6. Jaspaul

Jaspaul Auditioning

I went and had a listen and was quite impressed considering the cost so I made the purchase (in canadian dollars after some haggling with the manager):

AS-F1 $355 for the pair
    AS-C1 $160
    AS-B1 $160 for the pair

When I got there I noticed that they had conveniently setup the AS-F2's beside the F1's to try and sway me [​IMG]. Regardless of the salesman's intentions I'm glad they setup the F2's. They also hooked the system up to an HK AVR330 at my request as I was considering this receiver.

I came to the conclusion that both of the towers needed an accompanying sub...the F2's are slightly better but not good enough to be the only low frequency speakers in the system. I also found the F1's to be a better match to the C1 center channel (at least to my ear). I decided to save the $200 by buying the F1's and put the money in the bank getting me more than half the way to an AS-P400 sub. I know it's not the best sub out there, but it seems like a very good piece for the price and accompanied the F1's well. Aesthetically it also matches the existing system.

I've brought the speakers home and set them up using the 12 gauge home depot speaker wire that was already in the walls (the stuff with the green casing for any of you canadians familiar with it...is there a reason to go with anything more expensive?). IMHO the speakers seem much better built than other products in this price range. The speakers are setup on an older 5.1 pioneer receiver that I borrowed from my parents house (I'm sure my dad would love to have it back sson even though it's rarely used there :p )

As to not make too many posts about the same subject I'll post this question here:

I know originally had thought of the HK AVR330, but I was pleasantly surprised by my dads pioneer. As a result I'm not so sure I need a receiver in the HK's price range. How would these speakers do with, what seems to be a well reviewed, Onkyo TS-XR501. The room is a pretty square 250sqft. The big advantage I see with something in the Onkyo's price range is I could go out and add a sub to the system right now. Thanks in advance for all your help [​IMG]

7. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Basically the same exact price Future Shop had them on sale for... That's cool.

It'a tough call, but I'd think 4 of the better matches for bright speakers would be either a Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, or HK.

The 12g in the walls should be fine, but unless it's fire rated your insurance company may not like it!

Brent

8. Jaspaul

Jaspaul Auditioning

I don't know about boxing day prices, but from the current prices I got $20 off the towers, $10 off the center and $10 off the bookshelves. I've gotten better discounts from FS before, but they didn't seem like they wanted to budge much...probably due to the already low price.

I don't know if the wire is fire rated but it says things like "Oxygen Free" and "150C" on the shielding. I doubt I'm straining 12 guage's current limit and it's listed as "In-Wall Speaker Wire" at home depot though so I think I'm okay.

So you think the Onkyo will be a good match? I'd never listen to it too loud so my main concern is good quality sound at moderate volumes.

9. Rex Quinn

Rex Quinn Agent

You must have gotten them while they were on sale already. The AS-C1 is $229, same as the B1's, and the F1's are $499 regularly.

10. ernie.bin

ernie.bin Stunt Coordinator

I'd check out the refurbed onkyo sr-501 at ecost.com . After exchange and shipping to canada, under $300CAD.

Hard to find a receiver as good for so little.

11. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

I brought home a pair of B1's, and they have to live within 2 feet of the corners. Nice effect that sounds good with music, no sub "needed". Tones verify a rolloff around 45hz. Very lively and dynamic, but still breaking in. Midrange is recessed right now. Great speakers so far!