athena as-p400 sub question

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Derek_Sutherlan, Oct 27, 2004.

1. Derek_Sutherlan

Hello,

I recently purchased the following athena (audition series) speakers for my dedicated HT room

1 pair of AS-B2s (bookshelf fronts)
    2 AS-R1s (rear dipole)
    2 AS-C1s (front/back center channels)

I feel that I got a really good deal on these speakers and the business i bought them from is offering me a great deal on the AS-P400 Subwoofer.

does anybody have an opinion/experience on this subwoofer

since the deal is really good (in my opinion) should i buy two? (my HT room dimensions are 11'(w) x 13'(l) x 7.5'(h)

thanks

Derek Sutherland

2. Jeremy Little

Jeremy Little Supporting Actor

I have compared it up against a Klipsch KSW-10 and even with the lower MSRP, the Athena killed the KSW-10. I think it is a very nice sub and it doesn't struggle on most material.

3. Derek_Sutherlan

Thanks Jeremy,

I was hoping to hear anything positive as I am eager to purchase the sub.

Does anyone think this is a bad idea.

I will probably go purchase the sub tomorrow if I don't get any negative reviews.

thanks again,

Derek Sutherland

4. Jeremy_R

Jeremy_R Stunt Coordinator

I was thinking about a P400 too but I just ordered the Dayton tiny mighty. The specs are a little misleading since the P400 is only has 100 watts RMS power.

Even if the Dayton is not as good as the Athena I can purchase 2 of them for less than the price of 1 Athena.

I'm guessing that 2 Daytons would probably outperform 1 P400.

5. Derek_Sutherlan

I don't know how much you are paying for the Dayton(s), but I will be purchasing the P-400 for $340 (cdn). The price is about $150 (+tax) cheaper than Future Shop (Best Buy).

6. Jason Hammerly

Jason Hammerly Supporting Actor

I've listened to it quite extensively and I bought it for my secondary system. I'm looking foward to getting it hooked up. It's got a small footprint and is very tight and musical. May lack a little of the low end of the Dayton, but I doubt much at all. PLus it looks nice with the rest of the Athena speakers. I think you'll be pleased. I picked mine up for $230 shipped US (if I ever get it). [​IMG] Later.

Jason

7. Derek_Sutherlan

Thanks Jason,

Sounds like you got a better deal than I can get. Still, I think the price is right so I will pick one up this weekend. As you said, it should look good with the rest of the Athenas I have already purchased. Now it is just a matter of getting the room completed so I can set them up properly.

regards,

Derek

8. Jeremy_R

9. Jason Hammerly

yea .. I owned the DAyton for a while and really liked it. Can't go wrong there either. Especially for less than 150 bucks for the Dayton. It's a steal. Both are good budget subs, with similar performance. I merely got the Athena because I though it sounded very good with music and it matches my Athenas. : )

10. Jeremy_R

Jason, you have owned both? Do you think the Athena sounds better than the dayton? What about output? What is you room size?

11. Jason Hammerly

I've tried them both at home. Both are adequate and were used in a 13' x 17' x 7' room. Did use them side by side, so really don't know which was better. Both very similar. I'd give the Athena the edge musically, but not by much. Probably output to the Dayon, but again, very close. I prefer the Athena, but if I was on a tight budget, I'd probably get the Dayton. I just think the Daytin is ugly, so that put it out for me. [​IMG]

J

12. Jeremy_R

I have a big open room (28 x 14 x 8) with openings into other rooms. I'm going to put the Dayton somewhat close to the corner of the room when I get it. If I'm happy with it then I'm done, if I feel like the output is lacking I might buy a second one. I have a feeling that 2 of those bad boys in my room would rock the house [​IMG] and I would still get off cheaper than paying MSRP for the P400.

I found an Athena b-stock for about $230 from audioadvisor awhile back but decided to wait a little while. When I was ready to buy it was gone. Maybe that's the one Jason bought ...

One of these days when my wallet recovers from all of these expensive purchases I might get a VTF3 or a Pci 20-39 and move the Dayton to my 2 channel music system for some extra punch.

By the way, Jason thanks for all of your insight about the 2 subs. It's great when you find someone who has both of the subs that you are/were considering.