Athena AS-P400 An Upgrade From JBL Arc Sub???

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by jayNeami, Mar 15, 2005.

1. jayNeami

jayNeami Auditioning

I am looking to buy the Athena Technologies AS-P400. Its specs are:
    # Directionality: Monopole
    # Enclosure materials: MDF (Medium Density Fiberboard)
    # Powered: No
    # Removeable speaker grilles: Yes
    # Speaker drivers: 1
    # Speaker enclosure type: Ported (bass-reflex)
    # Speaker terminals: Information not available
    # Speaker type: Subwoofer (powered)
    # Transducer type: Cone
    # Wall-mountable: No
    # Weather-resistant: No
    # THX-certified: No
    # Crossover points: Variable (40 to 120 Hz), with notches to accurately tune it to match various other speakers in Athena's Audition line
    # Frequency response (+/-3 dB): 23 to 120 Hz, +/-3 dB
    # Subwoofer power (RMS): 100 watts RMS (400 watts peak)
    # Amplifier: MOSFET
    # Anticlip circuitry: Yes (and internal protection circuitry)
    # Controls: Front-mounted
    # Tweeter (diameter): N/A
    # Video shielded: No
    # Woofers (diameter): 10-inch injection-molded polypropylene woofer with a rubber surround
    # Voice coil: 1.5 inches
    # Magnet: 28 ounces

I have an old JBL Arc Sub with specs:
    • Woofer: 8" high polymer laminate
    • Frequency Response: 45Hz - 150Hz
    • Crossover Frequency(ies): 50Hz - 150Hz
    • Power Handling, RMS: 80 watts

Is the Athena worth the $230 upgrade???? Advice/help appreciated, thanks.

2. darrylCHER

darrylCHER Stunt Coordinator

YES!

I have the AS-P400 sub, and (5) AS-C1's and they sound awesome.

The sub is in a 16x21x9 room, and has enough power to fill the room @27hz and up. It's a great sub for the price.

Darryl

3. Michael.M.C

Michael.M.C Stunt Coordinator

I own an AS-P400 sub and love it.

4. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

YES!!!

Do it!

I love that Athena sub.

5. Don Scott

Don Scott Stunt Coordinator

Hey darryl, how do the AS-C1's sound for music(mains+sub). Are they as good or better than the B2's in this regard.
    Thanks!

6. AngeloEug

AngeloEug Stunt Coordinator

***asp400 owners***

What are your impressions on this sub? Fast, musical, deep worth $250 USD new?

I'm thinking of putting it up against my current Velo DPS-10. I picked up the Velo for $299+tax and last night I snuck out to BB for the as-p400 for $249+tax.

Luckily, I can return the lesser of the two (or both) since they are from retailers.

But I wanted to read your views on it's performance (real world) not someone who may have benefitted from giving it a great review in their HT mag. Unfortunately, I am aware that some individuals and outfits can benefit greatly from a "biased" review.

So, please, indulge me with your own personal experiences on the performance of Athena's p400. I have to say that the M225 that came with the Micra6 system was no slouch on output. Very, very fast but lacked the lower HZ grunt that I was spoiled with owning a 12" Cerwin Vega.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

7. darrylCHER

Don,

I first had 2 AS-B2's for my L&R and 2 AS-B1's for my surrounds, an AS-C1 center and an AS-P400 sub. (powered by a Yamaha 5760)

I used this set up for 29 days, but I was never totally satisfied with the front sound stage.

In movies like Finding Nemo, Monsters inc., and Toy Story 2, there is a lot of dialog that comes from the L&R as well as the center. When I used the B2's, the dialog sounded "different" when it came from the left/right speakers.

So I returned the B2's to BB and bought 2 more C1's for the left/right. I used them for about 2 hours and I then returned the B1's for 2 more C1's (4 BB and 220 miles later!)

So to answer your question, the (5) C1's sound way better to me on movies and multi channel music. On my 5760 I listen to "7 ch stereo" for all my 2 channel cd's, and man, what a seamless and HUGE soundstage!

If you've never heard the exact same speaker for all the channels, go give it a try...You'll definitely hear a major difference.

Darryl

P.S.

All speakers are set to small, and the x-over is set to 80hz. And I'm using the "direct in" input on the sub.

8. BillyHC

BillyHC Agent

I'm curious. Did you YPAO or SPL-meter?
    I thought anything from Athena are supposed to be timbre matched with anything else from Athena, even across series.

9. darrylCHER

Billy,

I did the YPAO and then out of curiosity double checked it with a SPL meter. (all 5 channels were +/- 0.5db!)

The B2's and the C1 did sound very good. But the problem was that I heard a system with 5 identical Paradigm Atoms a couple of days before I bought my set up, so I knew what I was missing.

Again, speakers that are from the same manufacturer, and are designed to be voice matched with one another do sound good.

BUT....All 5/7 of the exact same speaker is the only way to go (IMO). A significant improvement in sound pans across the room is the result.

If you watch Monsters inc. and Sully's voice doesn't sound EXACTLY the same when he talks out of the left/right speaker, compared to when he talks out of the center speaker (I do mean exact!), then that is the "mis match" that bothered me.

Not any more though! [​IMG]

Darryl

10. BillyHC

BillyHC Agent

ugh... i just got a C.5 (as well as the other 4 S.5's, but won't be setting them up until I move next month) to go with my ASF2's... now I'm worried about them... gonna have to cue up Monster's Inc. tonight to make sure my ears are deaf enough to not notice.

btw, it still creeps me out to see my first name used online... can't shake 10+ years of online paranoia, I guess.