Athena AS-P series subs. Opinions?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by JeffLab, Sep 1, 2005.

1. JeffLab

JeffLab Stunt Coordinator

Hello all,
    I've been considering a new sub for my HT, and have been eyeballing the new Athena AS-P4000 or AS-P6000 subs as candidates. On paper, they look great. Unfortunately, none of the local retailers has any set up for demonstration. Has anyone here any experience with these subs?
    I currently have Athena speakers all around for my 5 channel speakers: AS-B1's, AS-C1, and AS-R1's.

Any thoughts, insights, or comments would be most welcome.

2. James02

James02 Auditioning

I have as asp6000 with a Yamaha 2500 and f1s, asc1 and r1s. I bought this sub back in mid July and so far I am really pleased with it. Previously I had tried an asp400 which sounded good but had limited volume. I have not tried the asp4000 at all so I have no opinion there. I am running this sub at 3 on the volume scale out of 10 and it is shaking the room. Cannon fire on Master and Commander is so intense that the house shakes and it sounds solid. I find it blends well with my f1s on stereo music so I will look no further. For the price I highly recommend the 6000, if you want to spend a lot more money, well then there will be other options.

James

3. JeffLab

Thanks for the input, James. Tell me, how is that built in crossover feature on the sub that automatically sets it to match accordingly with your Athena front speakers? Is it any good, or just a gimmick?

BTW, I love that DVD. One of my faves.

4. James02

James02 Auditioning

The crossover has marking for Athena speakers which for an F1 translates at 50. I questioned Athena about that setting since it ignores the rest of my speakers. Joe Frasier of Athena stated that it was best to set up the system so the sub integrates with the front mains so both music and movies would be served. This actually sounds quite good but I just turn it all the way up and use the receivers bass management to set the crossover. I would need at least 80 to support my smaller back speakers so that is what I use. Currently I am using the fronts as large and sub as both which gives the system a huge bass punch. The yamaha has no problem driving this to ear splitting levels and it sounds so clean you don't realize how loud it is until you try to talk to someone.

James

5. JeffLab

Well, I tried out the AS-P6000 over the long weekend, and found its not the sub for me. While I found it has plenty of power and low end to spare, I believe it was a bit too big for the room I had intended.

Athena recommends it for rooms 400 square feet or greater, and mine rings in at 430, theoretically it should have been fine. I found it far too "boomy" in the low end, and not musical enough, no matter where I positioned it.

You were right on one thing, though, James. It does shake the house. Unfortunately, that sensation sends my wife into a fit, lol.

I am going to return the AS-P6000 and give the AS-P4000 a try this week. The smaller woofer might give me the sound I'm looking for. I'll keep you posted.

6. James02

James02 Auditioning

Funny, I don't find it boomy at all. I've been rattling the house now for about 40 years so my wife is used to it. I find that on music, I use a crossover of 60 on the sub and leave the f1s as large. If I use 80 then I start to get some boom. The Yamaha 2500 auto equalization sets the sub output a good 7 db below the mains so that is what I use and it sounds good.

James

7. KevinCAR

KevinCAR Extra

did you try out the AS-P4000 yet?

8. SummyD

SummyD Stunt Coordinator

I own a p6000 and am very pleased with it. Don't find it boomy either. Goes well with my Energy C series speakers. Is nice to look at. Pretty powerful... I never even dare to crank up the gain over 6 (out of 10).

9. drumplayerjon

drumplayerjon Auditioning

Jeff, I have both the AS-P 400 & 4000 and both are great! I've gone through a few subs to find the sound I liked and the Athena's have won hands down. I've had the Gallo TR-1 & TR-2, Sunfire Dominator 10, Velodyne's, Boston Acoustics, Klispch, and the Athena is by far the best of the bunch. I just ordered the AS-P 6000 for my livingroom and I just listed my AS-P 400 on Audiogon. I have to say, I have a few test cd's and the Athena 400 & 4000 both go below 23hz so I can't wait for the 6000. I don't have 400 sq ft so we will see what happens. I am using the 4000 with a pair of Revel F12's which will be now paired up to the 6000. The 4000 will take the place of the 400 that I use with a pair of Monitor Audio Silver RS-6 towers. I have NAD electronics in my living room and use the Outlaw RR 2150 with the Monitor Audios.

10. James02

James02 Auditioning

Unfortunately my shake the house with my asp-6000 ended abruptly when the plate amp fried. Talked to my dealor who is 3 hours away and they agreed to replace it. Hope this is not a trend? It was a year old.

James

11. Roger D

Roger D Agent

I just got my P6000 and it's awesome. I currently have it set on 3-4 out of 10 in terms of volume, and it's great. I hope it lasts more than a year.