Athena AS-F2 or Rocket RS750

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by MarshallSlate, Aug 23, 2003.

1. MarshallSlate

i got 5 days to make up my mind on what speakers im gonna have for along time

2. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

Have you heard either?

3. MarshallSlate

i've heard Athena AS-F2

4. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

I have heard the Athena at Best Buy, and the the RS750 at a listening session. Although it was in two different settings, the sound of the two speakers are very different.

I suggest you listen the RS750 before you make a decision.

And if you are looking at floorstanders, I would throw in the Axiom M60 into the mix.

5. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

My vote goes for the Rockets..

6. MarshallSlate

i having a faint hissing noise, i dont know if its the speakers or the reciever or the connections but its very discouraging, what speaker do you think goes louder the AS-F2 or the Rocket?

7. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

8. Russell _T

Russell _T Supporting Actor

Uh yeah. I've miked my Rocket 750's at 120 db one foot from the tweeter with no audible distortion or compression to my ears. I wouldn't push it much past that, as most speakers aren't designed to take that kind of punishment for long, and you will do serious damage to your hearing in no time at all.

9. Nhan_H

Nhan_H Second Unit

Wouldn't these two speakers be in different leagues?

10. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

11. MarshallSlate

if my reciever goes from 100-0 0 being loudest, does that mean if its at 80 that its 20db loud?

12. Nathan J

Nathan J Stunt Coordinator

No.

You would not be able to hear 20db. You would be lucky to hear 50 db.

Very quiet talk is around 65 - 75db.

Extended listening at levels over 120db can permanately hurt your ears. A jet taking off is about 140db, although, my car audio system can hit 140db, but most of that is bass, whereas, the jet taking off is at a lot higher frequency, and therefore, seems much louder, and is actually a lot worse for your ears than the bass at 140db is.

13. MarshallSlate

whats the loudest thing ever [​IMG]

14. Scott Kriefall

Scott Kriefall Second Unit

Scott

15. Nhan_H

Nhan_H Second Unit

16. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

Athena is a very nice souding speaker and the Rockets are very nice as well although are in different price ranges and they do both sound different from one another.

Also each speaker has it's own power consumption requirements. For a comparison, Klipsch needs very little power to be driven while a speaker like Athena would need to a little more to perform at the same level. I've not saying it is a big different or anything but there is a different although not very noticeable.

You have to make your own decision on things. If you go around BB and listen to Yamaha, Athena, Klipsch, JBL you will notice they all sound completely different. I love Klipsch sound, other people love Athena sounds, other people love JBL and so on and so forth.

It's all up to the listener and you should listen to everything before you make your decision.

17. MarshallSlate

im willing to trust other people's ear though, i havent understood the who listening thing anyway, when i went to best buy and compared AS-F2 with a klipsch and JBL, JBL had a massive noise to it, the klipsch..i just didnt like, i compared both the klipsch and the athena back and fourth back and fourth by the click of a button at the same volume and the klipsch didnt sound good (no offense, personal opinion), it just to me seemed pretty obvious what was the best speaker out of all of them and the best buy guy and the 3 people i was with agreed so i dont know, i did compare AS-F2 with the AS-F1 back and fourth back and fourth back and fourth for like 10 straight minutes i could not pick up any difference at all even at a really really loud volume, at the time i just got the AS-F2 because it had two woofers :b (as stupid as that sounds)

18. MarshallSlate

and you gotta admit the AS-F2 is a goodlooking speaker, i hope the LS750 comes in black ash, does anybody know about that????

19. BobAlbano

BobAlbano Second Unit

Marshall, I have a complete set of Rockets and I would be more than happy to let you audition them. Let me know if you are interested in taking the Rockets for a spin. Shoot me an email at hectic1@hotmail.com

20. Nhan_H

Nhan_H Second Unit

For its price range, the AS-F2 is not a bad looking speaker. It doesn't look that nice on the BB website, but I've passed it several times at the local BB, but didn't really catch my eyes. This is with the grill on. I'll give it a closer inspection when I go to pick up LOTR DvD today.

The Rockets come in a rosewood (you'll have to see in person to really appreciate the beauty of this baby) as well as ebony wood (not to be mistaken for total black veneer). I've heard the same raves about the ebony, but have not seen it in person. You can get an idea of what these look like by visiting AV123's gallery.