Athena AS-B1... Wow!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Craig Morris, Jan 3, 2003.

1. Craig Morris

Craig Morris Stunt Coordinator

So I was at Future Shop (Canadian big box chain) on New Years Eve, when I saw these Athena speakers on sale for $149 Canadian (regular $229). I had read the review at Soundstage.com and was curious how good these could be for so little money. My parents had been looking for a replacement for some big Camber (a now defunct Canadian speaker company) speakers they were using. Their NAD receiver crosses over at 100Hz, so I knew these small Athenas would be the perfect size for them.

I am amazed at the sound quality. These $150 speakers absolutely blow away their old Cambers, which listed for about $550 when they were purchased 10 years ago. I realize technology has changed... but wow!

Imagine, 3 pairs of these shielded AS-B1's for $450 Canadian, plus the highly rated AS-P400 (which was on sale for $399 CDN) and you'd have one killer 6.1 speaker system for only $850 CDN. I kinda wish I was building a basement or bedroom system...

2. Rex Quinn

Rex Quinn Agent

The whole Athena line was on sale at Future Shop until the 31st. I bought a pair of AS-B2's a week earlier at $284, brought the recipt in and they gave me the diffrence (they were on sale for $199), which I put towards the B1's. So I really only paid about $74 dollars for the B1's [​IMG] If you think those are good, check out the B2's. I have them for fronts, the AS-C1 for centre, and the B1's for surrounds. No sub yet. With the B2's set at large, the bass can shake my room and everything in it. Mind you it is in a bedroom, but it's still pretty damn impressive for bookshelf speakers to shake a room.

3. Leonard B

Leonard B Stunt Coordinator

I have a pair of B2's for mains, a C1 center and 3 B1's for surrounds, with a D-Box 302 subwoofer. Sounds great and I didn't have to break the bank. Athena makes excellent speakers, and when you factor in the cost, it's icing on the cakes. It's too bad that more people don't seem to know about the speakers in the Audition Series line.

4. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

I was eyeing the Audition series when it was announced months ago. However, I have no local dealer for the Audition series. I went with Energy instead....at least it's another one of API's brands (Mirage, Energy, and Athena Technologies).