Athena AS-B1 or AS-R1 and Positioning Question

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Josh O, Aug 22, 2004.

1. Josh O

Josh O Agent

I currently have JBL Studio Series for front/center/rear. I've replaced the fronts with Athena AS-F2s and am trying to decide the best way to go for the rear speakers.

My room is 14x13. The seating is directly against the rear wall. I currently have S26s mounted on the rear wall with some heavy-duty Vogel speaker mounts. The rears are angled in towards the center of the room.

My question is, which rear solution would be better?

1) Use AS-B1s for the rear, utilizing the existing mounts and angle them in towards the center of the room.

2) Use AS-R1s for the rear, mounted flat against the rear wall.

My concern was whether the R1s would work well being mounted on a rear wall. Are they designed to be mounted on a side wall, or will they work in my situation?

If the R1s can be mounted on a rear wall, how far in from the side wall do they need to be?

2. Josh O

Josh O Agent

Bump.

3. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

Wire them up and do some experimentation. It's really room acoustics that will dictate how well one works over the other. Can you buy from a place that accepts returns?

4. Josh O

Josh O Agent

Sounds like I should pick up a pair of R1s from BB and try it out. I just wanted to make sure that using a bi-pole on a rear wall directly above the seating area wasn't a "no-no" before I went through the effort.

Thanks,
    Josh