What's new

Athena AS-B1, Dayton BR-1, or HTD New Level 2? (1 Viewer)

PaulW

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all I'm putting together a secondary 2 channel system main for music and am looking at the following bookshelf speakers.

Athena AS-B1 for $99
http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/pr...s+-+Pair&qty=1

The Dayton BR-1 shielded kit for $150
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=300-642

And a B-Stock new generation HTD Level TWO for $129
http://www.htd.com/letwobosp.html

Any opinions on these three? Are there any other speakers in this price range I should be considering?

This time I’m really going to pull the trigger on this second system… :D

Thanks,
Paul

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I've owned the B1s and while they have decent bass and clean midrange, they are a bit bright in the highs. You can tweak the treble a bit or if you have a larger room, they should be fine. I haven't heard a better $100 pair of speakers, and I recommend these guys at that price point.

I've been very curious about the BR-1s, but looking at the specs I was kind of put off by them - fairly low sensitivity at 85dB and they also trail off below 20kHz, which means they could sound farily warm. If you don't have a decent amp to drive them, the B1s would probably be a better choice.

Never heard any of the HTDs so I can't comment on them.

PaulW

Stunt Coordinator

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The JBL Northridge series never really impressed me. They are OK, but not my first choice. The Athenas surprised me actually.

I use these guys in my bedroom 2ch setp and I'm very pleased with them, though they are above the rough price range you seem to be looking in.

PaulW

Stunt Coordinator
Ok now it is down to the Athena AS-B1 or the Infinity Primus 150... so hard to choose without being able to A/B them...

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
I have an 8-watt tube 2nd system. JBl L26's are the usual speakers there, and AS-B1's in the HT. I occasionally swap, and the B1's just don't cut it. Naturally, they are at a large disadvantage compared to a 10" woofer and huge cabinet, but on their own they really don't do well in the same position in that kit.

Now as 2-channel in the normal HT rig, HK AVR and all, they sound much better, and if I run the HT without sub they pass off a respectable amount of bass along with the C1 center. Stereo seperation and image are both great, bass is there but slight, treble is a bit ill-defined but not spitty. Excellent for the money, this is the 2nd time I've had them.

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
I've also had the Alpha 20's. They seemed a bit dark and lacked any real ability to make me think they were a great speaker. I don't know how similar they are to the newer lines. I have read that the 360 and 150 both got special attention from the engineers.

PaulW

Stunt Coordinator
Well I got the Infinity's in from OneCall and fired them up to compare to my existing Onkyo THX speakers. The Infinity's have good a stereo imaging and good mids and appear to have a good build quality. They don't compare in any way to my Onkyo's thou... the Onkyo's are sooo much better. Seeing I've never had another speaker to compare with them in my listening environment I'm even happier with my main system!

What can I expect for $118? The Infinity's will do a great job in my second 2 channel system thou.

PaulW

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
:emoji_thumbsup: I'd like to buy a pair of those guys just to try them out, based on reviews (that's why I bought the B1s). Let us know how you like them after they grow on you for a while. Maybe a more detailed review?

PaulW

Stunt Coordinator
Sure will do! At this point my wife has listened to them more then me! :) I'll need to change that soon!

PaulW

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks