What's new

Athena AS-B1 as mains? (1 Viewer)

Steve_T

Auditioning
My current entry-level HT is in a 12' by 20' common room within my dorm room. So far I have a Yamaha HTR-5550 (75W/ch) and the Sony SS-CR350 center speaker and surround speaker set, only decent components, I admit.

After much research into what to buy as mains, the Athena AS-B1's seem like the best small sub-$200 speakers for the money, followed closely by the JBL S26, Polk Rti28, and Paradigm Atoms and Titans. I emphasize small because H/K is auctioning refurbed JBL N38II and S38II on eBay for around $170-200 plus shipping and tax, but I've pretty much ruled them out since the large cabinet size would be a problem with the amount of moving I'll be doing in the next few years.

My question is whether the AS-B1 could serve as my mains until I can invest in floorstanding speakers and move the bookshelfs to the rear. Right now I'm using some open-box JBL N26s as mains, and while they are OK for HT I would like better sound for music. No subwoofer yet, but I'm looking at the Sony SA-WM500 or something from the Yamaha YST line. After the sub and the new mains, the system will be about 70% movies/30% music.

Any and all opinions as to my setup are welcome.

Benihana

Stunt Coordinator
since your looking at the SA-wm500 and look at the Sony SA-WX700, worlds better than the wm500, more low end output, and more musical, dual 10" push-pull design with 250 watts power. And the Athena's should be very nice as mains coupled with a sub.

Kwang Suh

Supporting Actor
I found the Athenas and the Polks to be very similar, with the edge going to the Polks ever so slightly, because of a crisper high end.

The JBls were nice too, but seemed to lack the high end as much as the other two.

I've never listened to Paradigm Atoms before. I have heard Titans, which were okay.

You might want to look at the ASB2s as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks