Athena AS-B1 as mains?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Steve_T, Nov 15, 2003.

1. Steve_T

Steve_T Auditioning

My current entry-level HT is in a 12' by 20' common room within my dorm room. So far I have a Yamaha HTR-5550 (75W/ch) and the Sony SS-CR350 center speaker and surround speaker set, only decent components, I admit.

After much research into what to buy as mains, the Athena AS-B1's seem like the best small sub-$200 speakers for the money, followed closely by the JBL S26, Polk Rti28, and Paradigm Atoms and Titans. I emphasize small because H/K is auctioning refurbed JBL N38II and S38II on eBay for around $170-200 plus shipping and tax, but I've pretty much ruled them out since the large cabinet size would be a problem with the amount of moving I'll be doing in the next few years.

My question is whether the AS-B1 could serve as my mains until I can invest in floorstanding speakers and move the bookshelfs to the rear. Right now I'm using some open-box JBL N26s as mains, and while they are OK for HT I would like better sound for music. No subwoofer yet, but I'm looking at the Sony SA-WM500 or something from the Yamaha YST line. After the sub and the new mains, the system will be about 70% movies/30% music.

Any and all opinions as to my setup are welcome.

2. Benihana

Benihana Stunt Coordinator

since your looking at the SA-wm500 and look at the Sony SA-WX700, worlds better than the wm500, more low end output, and more musical, dual 10" push-pull design with 250 watts power. And the Athena's should be very nice as mains coupled with a sub.

3. Steve_T

Steve_T Auditioning

Thanks for the input, Benihana. I'll definitely look into the WX700.

4. Kwang Suh

Kwang Suh Supporting Actor

I found the Athenas and the Polks to be very similar, with the edge going to the Polks ever so slightly, because of a crisper high end.

The JBls were nice too, but seemed to lack the high end as much as the other two.

I've never listened to Paradigm Atoms before. I have heard Titans, which were okay.

You might want to look at the ASB2s as well.