What's new

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Richard Thorpe’s Athena offers an innocuous way to pass the time with a musical comedy-romance that’s easy to watch and just as easy to forget.

Athena (1954)

Released: 04 Nov 1954
Rated: Passed
Runtime: 95 min

Director: Richard Thorpe
Genre: Musical, Romance, Comedy, Drama

Cast: Jane Powell, Edmund Purdom, Debbie Reynolds, Vic Damone
Writer(s): William Ludwig, Leonard Spigelgass

Plot: The story about two sisters in love. Everything should be wonderful, but father doesn't approve of his daughters' physically underdeveloped fiancés.

IMDB rating: 6.0
MetaScore: N/A

Disc Information

Studio: MGM
Distributed By: Warner Archive
Video Resolution: 1080P/AVC

Aspect Ratio: 1.75:1...

Continue reading...

Conrad_SSS

Second Unit
Thanks for a very fair and astute review of this little blip on the MGM musical radar. I have the old WB DVD, and enjoyed it very much for what it is. What was most impressive at the time I got that disc was the gorgeous stereo audio which was lossy on the DVD, and should sound spectacular here. Interestingly, I don’t believe the film’s theatrical release was originally in stereo, so the DVD was a big surprise in that department. It wasn’t great looking, but this new Blu-ray sounds like another home run from Warner Archive. I had become pre-disposed to the film’s score via the Rhino CD soundtrack released years ago. I recall the liner notes indicated the production was supposed to be produced by Arthur Freed, but he passed on it and Joe Pasternak took over the property. Apparently it was originally intended for Esther Williams. Regardless, while no masterpiece, I enjoy the film for what it is and the review only heightens my looking forward to this new Blu incarnation.

JoelA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
Thanks for a very fair and astute review of this little blip on the MGM musical radar. I have the old WB DVD, and enjoyed it very much for what it is. What was most impressive at the time I got that disc was the gorgeous stereo audio which was lossy on the DVD, and should sound spectacular here. Interestingly, I don’t believe the film’s theatrical release was originally in stereo, so the DVD was a big surprise in that department. It wasn’t great looking, but this new Blu-ray sounds like another home run from Warner Archive. I had become pre-disposed to the film’s score via the Rhino CD soundtrack released years ago. I recall the liner notes indicated the production was supposed to be produced by Arthur Freed, but he passed on it and Joe Pasternak took over the property. Apparently it was originally intended for Esther Williams. Regardless, while no masterpiece, I enjoy the film for what it is and the review only heightens my looking forward to this new Blu incarnation.
Thanks for another excellent review Matt. Yes, this was supposed to be Esther Williams' next film following Easy to Love. Esther and director Charles Walters devised the basic plot, but Dore Schary had other ideas. I have the Rhino soundtrack, also, and it's wonderful. Not a great film, but an enjoyable time filler. I will be buying the Blu-ray to support the effort.

Mark B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
Gave this a spin yesterday, and am very pleased with the results. The DVD was welcome, but it seemed like a release that ran out of budget and the color correction was not completed as it was very red. Not this time. Perfect colors, and that fun hilltop set looks great.
The narrative is sloppy and feels like there are missing scenes, but something about this whack-a-doodle flick appeals to me.
I did notice a couple of problems in the conversion to stereo. At the end of "Imagine" in the health food store, the orchestral track and Debbie's vocal are not in sync. Also the final shot of the film the sound is out of sync with the visual. Its always something when they mess with soundtracks. I'm still annoyed the missing audio during Dig For Your Dinner from Summer Stock, which was wrong on the DVD, wasnt fixed for the Blu-Ray.

roxy1927

Supporting Actor
Real Name
vincent parisi
That's a bummer. Didn't hear about that. Dig for your dinner is one of the best parts of the movie. How did they mess that up when it's supposed to be a premium presentation?

Mark B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
That's a bummer. Didn't hear about that. Dig for your dinner is one of the best parts of the movie. How did they mess that up when it's supposed to be a premium presentation?
They did a mono remix and left out the bit where Gene and Phil are goofing around and Gene hollers "charge!." All you get is his mouth moving and the music in the background.

octobercountry

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Fred
I did notice a couple of problems in the conversion to stereo. At the end of "Imagine" in the health food store, the orchestral track and Debbie's vocal are not in sync. Also the final shot of the film the sound is out of sync with the visual. Its always something when they mess with soundtracks.
I haven't seen the blu yet, but will check this out whenever I finally get it. But I don't think there was any "conversion" to stereo, if I understand you right---this film was released to theatres in stereo right from the beginning, far as I know.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
athena.jpg

Rob W

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
Now there's some creative programming... Seven Dancing Daughters & 8 Gay Songs combined with Gun Fury and Violence ....

Mark B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
I haven't seen the blu yet, but will check this out whenever I finally get it. But I don't think there was any "conversion" to stereo, if I understand you right---this film was released to theatres in stereo right from the beginning, far as I know.
It was Perspecta, which is glorified mono, so it did require a ground up mix of the music stems.

M90GM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JUSTIN
Matt was very kind to another real dud - what a wasted blu ray upgrade is this . . . . now the normal pattern with WA in amongst the rare "gems"

roxy1927

Supporting Actor
Real Name
vincent parisi
I am happy with Summertime coming out and it makes me hopeful more important and successful musical are yet to come.

dukiejosh54

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Josh
How is this a waste? This movie might not be one of MGM's best but that doesn't mean it doesn't deserve to be restored and preserved. It looks amazing on blu-ray and has performances by two legendary actresses Jane Powell and Debbie Reynolds. These movies are what they are, not all classic movies have to be Citizen Kane.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceirj1879
Recent bookmarks