Atari to reissue games for Xbox/PS2....

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Nick Sievers, Sep 7, 2004.

1. Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers Producer

...well 85 of them anyway. Just read this article on Yahoo Atari to Reissue Scores of Old Games

If they release the disc here i'll definitely be buying it. It is also neat to see them releasing a mini Atari 7800.

2. Intellivision has already release a disc on Xbox. A lot of games on it. My mom bought it so now everytime i got home i have to pack up my xbox [​IMG]. She complains about all the buttons. My dad plays it a bit too, i dont remember too many of the games, but the big ones i remember playing: shark shark, night stalker, battle tanks (?). There are ton of sports games also. All in all its a pretty good time if you have someone else to play with.

3. George_W_K

George_W_K Screenwriter

George
    Andrew,

Nice Sig quotes! That Kool-Aid moment in the first episode locked me into that show instantly.

Geo

4. Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers Producer

That was a real WTF moment for me, I had to ask an American friend to explain it to me because we don't have Kool-Aid over here. [​IMG]

5. Eugene Esterly

Eugene Esterly Supporting Actor

This is cool news. I will be getting the Atari Anthology for my PS2. I love the old games. I also own the other old school game collections for PS2 which are:

Intellivision Lives
    Activision Anthology
    Midway Arcade Treasures
    Namco Museum

6. Matt Butler

Matt Butler Screenwriter

I just picked up the Atari Anthology a couple days ago. God I feel old!

7. kevin:campbell

kevin:campbell Auditioning

How much is the atari anthology going for, gotta get this, some serious retro play [​IMG]

8. Matt Butler

Matt Butler Screenwriter

Kevin,
    Its about $20 US new.

9. Doug Schiller

Doug Schiller Supporting Actor

I got the Xbox version this week.

For those with HDTVs, the game is even in 1080i!

"Adventure" is still a blast to play.

10. Matt Butler

Matt Butler Screenwriter

Word! I love that game. One of the reasons I bought this. [​IMG]

11. Christopher_P

Christopher_P Stunt Coordinator

Any idea if any of these releases has Seaquest on it? Loved that game with the little yellow sub blast to play.

12. Ken Chui

Ken Chui Supporting Actor

"Seaquest" comes in the Activision Anthology (PS2)
    only.

Here is a link to the list of games in the Atari Anthology.

13. Christopher_P

Christopher_P Stunt Coordinator

Woohoo thanks. I just notice that it is even out on Gameboy Advanced and that version has seaquest too! Just made a note now to remind myself to be on the lookout for it thanks again.

14. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins
    Anyone know why this hasn't been released for the Xbox? I would certainly buy it if it were released. I love the old Activision games.

15. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Got this two days ago and overall I am pleased with it, maybe not as pleased as I was with Activision Anthology or Midway Arcade Treasures 2 but it has some very fun moments in it and was worth $20 for the nice nostalgia trip.

It's a shame the rights couldn't have been worked out for some titles I rather liked on the 2600 "back in the day" such as Raiders Of The Lost Ark or Mrs. Pac Man but over all it is a good compilation for the money and personally I found the bonus interviews with Nolan Bushnell to be fascinating.

P.S. GOD turn off those damn cabinet overlays if you want to have any playability with the arcade titles![​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

BTW on the disc there is a partially hidden unreleased game demo that is interesting to try for a few minutes, on the menu of Tempest arcade (still a blast to play for hours & hours IMO) go into the bonus section and scroll through the pictures, at the end of it you will see a box cover for the unreleased 2600 version of Tempest and if you keep scrolling along there is a playable 2600 prototype version of the first level...it is easy to see why they canceled the project before completing any other levels.

17. Doug Schiller

Doug Schiller Supporting Actor

I thought Seaquest was included.
    The entire series, Earthquest, etc. which are Atari games, are on there.

18. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    Wow, I totally missed out on this!!

How well does it emulate paddle games?

Also, with the intelevision set, how does it use the 9 button number pad? It was crucial for games like boxing.

I have an X-Box.

19. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

How well does it emulate paddle games? Not well at all....I wish you could somehow use a mouse as that would be much better then a DS2 controller, if you have ever tried to play Kaboom from the Activision Anthology then you pretty much know how well the paddle games from this set play on the X-Box or PS2.
    It's a shame really as I have some very nice memories of playing games such as Warlords, Night Driver, Fireball(from the Starpath peripheral....remember that? The games came on cassette tape.) or Super Breakout but as it is these games are frustrating at best....unless someone somehow comes up with a new paddle controller to go along with this glut of retro game compilations that have been coming out recently.

Speaking of Starpath I wish it were possible to make a compilation of third party games made for the 2600 such as some of the really good ones from Dataage, U.S. Games, 20th Century Fox, Parker Brothers, Spectravision, Xonox (remember those? they were double sided cartridges with two different games on each side.), Avalon Hill, Tigervision and how about some of the great games made for the 5600 & 7800?
    For that matter who here would buy a compilation of some of the great games made for the Colecovision?

Mind you I have most of these games on my PC using various emulators but to be able to play them while stretched out on a couch would bring me back so far that I am sure I would break out with pimples again![​IMG]

20. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

All of the SwordQuest titles that were released back in 1982 are on this disc including Earthworld, Fireworld & Waterworld. I think you are mistaking those titles for something else.