"Atanarjuat: The Fast Runner" - feedback?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eric Huffstutler, Feb 3, 2003.

1. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler Screenwriter

Eric Huffstutler
    Has any of our Canadian friends looked at the early DVD releases of Atanarjuat: The Fast Runner yet? If so, i have a couple of questions.

First, I see on various web sites different running lengths. The official web site says it is 172 minutes while others say 161 minutes. What is the difference or what is missing - or even, who is correct?

Second, I have ordered a copy from a Canadian vendor which has a different cover-art than others I've seen elsewhere and mine is supposed to be 172 minutes where as I see the US release will be 161 minutes.

Are there 2 versions in Canada out already?

2. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

I don't have this yet, but as far as I've seen, there is only one Canadian version, and that's likely all there will be, as Columbia's distribution up here is often different from the US. I haven't taken a close look at the run time, but if I remember I will.

3. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler
    Here is what I am saying about different coverart:

The one I bought released November 19, 2002, 2-disc, and runs 172 minutes

[​IMG]

The other Canadian cover

[​IMG]

And the US version that says 161 minutes and only 1-disc

[​IMG]

4. Neil_Duffy

Neil_Duffy Second Unit

Yes, I have the Canadian disc set.

The running time of the movie is 2hrs 52 min.

Really nice set, I can't wait to watch the movie!

5. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

That top one is NOT a Canadian release, it looks like the UK version (has the UK rating on the front, and should be R2 PAL). I'm pretty certain the middle one (which is the one I've seen up here) is a single disc edition, but I may be wrong, and it looks like I am. I doubt I'll be at a store today, but if I am, I'll look.

Edited to say that I have seen 2 variations of the middle cover on ebay, one with and without a banner at the top. This is an image of the one with the banner: http://images.auctionworks.com/hi/51...runner_dvd.jpg

6. Neil_Duffy

Neil_Duffy Second Unit

Of the three cover pictures above -

The first one (ICA) is the now deleted UK version.

Middle one the 2 disc Alliance version.(The One I have)

The last one, I am assuming, is the US R1 cover.

7. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler
    You are right, the last picture, as mentioned, is the upcoming US release which has only 1 disc and advertised at Amazon being only 161 minutes long. What is in that 11 minutes they are cutting? Is it to obtain a 'R' rating someway?

The first picture, though may be UK, is pictured on a Canadian retailer site (DVD-PLUS.COM)which is why I am confused?

8. Tyler Ruggeri

Tyler Ruggeri Stunt Coordinator

I'm guessing the 161-minute runtime is a misprint. I saw the movie in theaters in the US and it was definitely 172 minutes.

Tyler Ruggeri

9. Tom Tsai

Tom Tsai Supporting Actor

I just read the first review of Sony's 1-disc US release from thedigitalbits.com (review) and it doesn't look like it lives up to the Deluxe 2-disc Alliance release from Canada.

According to the site, the US release doesn't have a single trailer (other than 3 for OTHER movies). The Alliance release has the following:

- 16x9 transfer
    - Fact Track
    - Cast and Character Bio
    - A Look at Art Direction
    - Photo Gallery
    - About Igloolik Isumo
    - Navigate Through the Legend
    - Production Diary
    - Filmmaker Biographies
    - Trailer
    - 5.1 and 2.0 DD Inuktitut
    - English and French subtitles

(on the US version, the subtitles are not selectable, the English sub is sent as part of the video signal)

who knows, maybe Sony's holding out on a SE?

Anyways, just want to inform you guys that there are two versions available [​IMG]

From Amazon.ca:
    Canadian Version (Alliance Atlantis)
    [​IMG]

US Version (Columbia Tristar)
    [​IMG]

10. JiM T

JiM T Stunt Coordinator

Can anyone confirm which version has the best transfer? Thanks...

JiM T

11. Tyler Ruggeri

I'm a little confused. I just bought a 2-disc set of the film whose cover art matches the one on the top of Steven's post (the one identified as the UK version). However, it's region 1, plays in my US DVD player and has all the features listed on the Canadian version. There's even a Canadian rating symbol on the back of the case. Could this just be alternate packing for the Canadian 2-disc SE? I don't see any way it could be the UK version.

Tyler Ruggeri

12. Jean-Michel

Jean-Michel Supporting Actor

13. Enrique B Chamorro

Enrique B Chamorro Supporting Actor

14. JiM T

JiM T Stunt Coordinator

I'm going for the Canadian version - now I have to figure out where to order it from. I haven't used Canadian DVD sites in the past - which is the best place to get this title?

Thanks

JiM T

15. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    I got mine from www.absound.ca, it's $17.31, they're a reliable outfit.

Frankly though, except for the extras, I think I'd rather have the U.S. version. Don't know which version looks better, haven't compared myself. The Canadian version does look pretty good. As far as I'm concerned, not digitally transferring a "film" made digitally to a digital medium is just more of the foolishness we've come to expect from Alliance Atlantis. I don't see how even those who go by the "fim maker's vision" could even argue with this. I suppose they'd say the film maker intended it to be seen on film. You can't argue with the connoisseurs...[​IMG]

16. Tyler Ruggeri

I'm still concerned about the fact that the US release is several minutes shorter for some unknown reason.

Tyler Ruggeri

17. Jean-Michel

Jean-Michel Supporting Actor

18. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    Just some last comments. When you're watching Atanarjuat on a large screen, I suspect the detail definition of the U.S. release would not be so apparent as in the above comparison link; for one thing most TV's don't have near the pixel resolution as what you can get on a decent computer monitor. OTOH, the better the source detail, the better it'll look when "magnified". Also, in the above link, the picture for the U.S. version is far too yellow, very unnatural based on my experience with the land/people. OTOH, the Canadian version is a bit too red, also unnatural. I have the red on my display turned down a bit, so the Canadian version looks fine, no red tinge to everything. I assume you could similarly turn down the green on the U.S. version if you care. IMO you shouldn't have to do these things when your display is calibrated, but such is life. Glaciers look bluish white, and things just about never have a reddish tinge in the far north.