What's new

At wits end... (1 Viewer)

titanjedi

Auditioning
Real Name
Harold
---Thanks for viewing and any advice/solutions.

Vizio P65F-1
I have optical cable from TV Digital Audio Out to the Digital In on receiver.

Panasonic SA-BTT196 (5.1CH 3D Blu-Ray Home Theater in-a-box)
Went through Easy Setup and chose Digital Audio; tested speakers in setup and all channels were correct. (I guess this really only tests speakers attached correctly and work).

Then went to YouTube app on TV and found a couple of videos that play sound to test your surround (5.1). This is what happens: Front L and R speakers work, center channel doesn't (just plays through front L and R speakers), then Rear R plays through Rear R AND Front R; Rear L plays through Rear L AND Front L. Sub plays no sound.

I've tried different settings that seem correct, but to no avail. I don't know if it's a TV setting (speakers are turned off) or the receiver. Something to do with optical connection?

Headache now.

Thanks again.

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Some TVs only output two channel stereo from the optical output. Check the manual to see if your tv does that.

titanjedi

Auditioning
Real Name
Harold
RTINGS.com says:

NO - eARC support
NO - Dolby Atmos via TrueHD via eARC
NO - DTS:X via DTS-HD MA via eARC
YES - 5.1 Dolby Digital via ARC
YES - 5.1 DTS via ARC
YES - 5.1 DTS via Optical

---again, my settings maybe were wrong, but I also tried JUST using the HDMI cable (no optical) on receiver to TV, for ARC? Same exact sounds/speakers.

xx Brian xx

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian
YouTube only plays 2 channel audio. All those videos that claim they can test 5.1 are garbage. Get a Blu-ray or streaming service (Netflix, Hulu) that actually play 5.1 and then test it again.

Brian

titanjedi

Auditioning
Real Name
Harold
oh crap. feel stupid. thanks all. not sure when I would have figured that one out.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Don’t feel stupid, sometimes it seems the people that design this stuff go out of their way to make it more complicated than it needs to be.

xx Brian xx

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian
I wouldn't feel bad, I figured this out the hard way myself. Most of these videos are uploaded in 5 channel but YouTube down mixes them to 2 channel.

Did you get a chance to use a known good source?

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ZeppelinDude93
Recent bookmarks