At what volume level do you listen to your Denon 3802?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JohnKings, Jan 2, 2002.

1. JohnKings

JohnKings Stunt Coordinator

When watching movies? I listen at between -15 and -10.

Just trying to get an idea of whether I am going deaf.

Thanks,

John

2. Matt Parsons

Matt Parsons Stunt Coordinator

HUH? [​IMG]
    I don't think I'm deaf, although my wife constantly tells me I have 'selective hearing' but I believe that's something else entirely. Maybe we're both in trouble, but I don't think so. I watch movies between -10 and -05.

3. Matt Malto

Matt Malto Stunt Coordinator

I have a felling everyone's numbers will be different due to speaker efficiency, room size, etc.

4. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

5. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona

6. Tom Tubbiola

Tom Tubbiola Stunt Coordinator

I'm usually at -10 to 05, but then I spent the 80s and 90s in Metal Bands so my hearing is not what it used to be. [​IMG]

7. MarcVH

MarcVH Second Unit

I have it calibrated such that 0 is reference level, and rarely get it up to -5 when watching a movie. For casual music listening, somewhere around -30 or so is usually fine.

8. Greg Br

Greg Br Second Unit

I must be the biggest whimp, I get mine to -25 or -30 and I feel the whole house shaking. I guess since I have just hooked up my system that I am not used to the volume and maybe that will change over time. I think if I whent to -5 I would have the cops at my door, that would be fun to explain, maybe I could show them what real home theater sounds like

9. Ron Alcasid

Ron Alcasid Stunt Coordinator

Don't have a 3802 (3300) but thought I would chime in anyway. I usually listen around -10. Usually dialouge falls between 60 - 70 dB at this setting which is the normal range for human conversation.

10. Salvador

Salvador Second Unit

my 3802 is connected to my computer through a toslink connection. I listen to music through winamp and normal listening levels is about -05 to 05. Keep in mind that i set the preamp of winamp to -20db and mp3 quality varies with each song that i play.

11. Jim Thor

Jim Thor Extra

I have my 4802 at -16 now as I listen to Cd's. I love to have dvd's at -20 to -17. My Girlfriend hates it!!!!
    But people walking down the sidewalk love it. [​IMG]

12. Matt Taylor

Matt Taylor Stunt Coordinator

I have a pretty big room that my HT is in. I listen at about -15.

13. Andrew B

Andrew B Agent

For most stuff at night I listen at -40, but during the day when people are about and there is a lot more background noise (dishwasher, ringing phones, people talking, cats, etc..) I crank it up to about -35 to -30 or so. I also crank down the LFE by -6 on the menu thingy from its normally calabrated levels at night to avoid shaking the house and waking the parents [​IMG]

14. MartyK

MartyK Agent

I have a Denon 2801 and usually listen to movies at -12 to -15 and music at -20 to -25.

15. Charles M

Charles M Stunt Coordinator

Wow, -10 to -5. I'm jealous, I only go -30 to -25 and sometimes over -25. Then again my room is small. Hopefully when I move these numbers will change. Actually it will!

Charles

16. MarkPayton

MarkPayton Stunt Coordinator

Even though it's 5 w/ch less, does a 3801 count?

I have a fairly small room (12x15) with very efficient speakers (Klipsch), so I rarely get into the teens. Most often I watch at -25. Last night, I tried watching Moulin Rouge at -15 and I thought my head was going to implode during the CanCanCan sequence. The only time I get up to -10 or -5 is watching movies with particularly low recorded levels, like Chicken Run.

17. Wookie Groomer

Wookie Groomer Stunt Coordinator

The Phantom Menace at -14 and all others around -17 / -19

Room dimensions: approx 11'x24'x7'

18. Tony Genovese

Tony Genovese Supporting Actor

Size of room should have nothing to do with the setting on the volume control...if you're trying to duplicate the theater experience. If the system is properly calibrated, 0 is reference level no matter what size room you're in. If you want to duplicate the sound pressure level at the listening seat in the theater, you need to calibrate each channel at 75db at the listening position. Then you will get 105db maximimum spl from the mains and 115db from the LFE (if your sub can take it...most can't). For music all bets are off.

I try to listen to movies at reference (which I do most of the time or slightly below if my wife is watching-she doesn't want to duplicate the theater experience). Music is anywhere from -10 to -20 depending on the piece (all classical).

19. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

I'm like Tony here!

20. MarkPayton

MarkPayton Stunt Coordinator

Tony, you make a good point. Room size AND speaker efficiency will all be taken into account when the levels are properly calibrated. In my case, I have calibrated my system with AVIA with the RS meter at the listening position. My wife and I tend to watch at moderate to low levels since ours 3 young ones are usually in bed during our prime HT hours.

I did once bottom out my SVS (very unsettling) on the THX trailer for TPM with the Denon set at -10! The kids were outside, and came running in to see if something exploded!