What's new

At what temperature will a fire start? (1 Viewer)

Terry Wysocki

Stunt Coordinator
I got a Sanyo XP21N projector and decided to ceiling mount it. I knocked a hole in the ceiling and built an enclosure for the projector to mount to that:

1. Ducts the projector exhaust up into the attic.

2. Covers the projector (for noise reduction) without blocking the entry of room air for cooling.

All turned out very nice except that I put a temperature probe into the exhaust duct and it got up to 131 degrees (F). The air flow appeared to be as strong as when the projector just runs on an unobstructed table. I'm concerned if that temperature could catch something on fire, being that the enclosure is mostly wood with paint and foam soundproofing. Is this safe or am I really doing something dumb here?

Brandon B

Second Unit
Since temps in the attic can get up to 120+ in the summer (at least where I live), I don't think you're really pushing it. Houses in death valley are built out of wood and such and it gets over 130 there too.

As long as it is not directed at anything plastic or otherwise meltable or flammable, you should be OK.

If your really concerned, get some sheet metal roof flashing or something similar and line the duct into the attic.

Paper burns in the mid 400's (e.g. Farenheit 451).

BB

Tiffany A

Stunt Coordinator
Farenheit 451 is the name of one of my favorite books!
I have a HTF question? How do you post a spoiler...all that black area and...how do you read them? Hopefully...someone will answer! AND I thank that person in advance for their time! :)

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
This is how you post a spoiler (I hope this works):
You put an opening square brace '[' followed by the word 'spoiler' followed by a closing square brace ']' at the beginning of the text. Then, at the end of the text, you do the same thing, except you use a forward slash '/' in front of the word 'spoiler'.
Alternatively, you could just click on the button which says 'Spoiler' and let JavaScript handle it for you.
I hope that wasn't too smartass, I've had a couple of beers :)

P.S. You read it by selecting the text by dragging your mouse over it, that causes the browser to change the color of the text in there, which makes it visible.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks