At the half way point-any candidates for DVD of the year?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Todd_Brown, Jul 2, 2002.

1. Todd_Brown

Todd_Brown Second Unit

Well we're 1/2 way thru 2002, any DVDs released so far strike you as DVD of the year? We still have many of the heavy hitter's yet to come like Beauty and the Beast Platinum , The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring Extended version , Monsters Inc., CE , Spiderman , etc...
    I would nominate Black Hawk Down it was a superb film, great transfer, extras were good, overall a solid DVD. Harry Potter was a good transfer, but navigating the special features was annoying (some I'm sure found it fun).
    Any nominations?
    Todd

2. Han

Han Second Unit

Isn't Black Hawk Down's SE going to make it out this year as well?
    I think it's too early to call, especially with all the August titles and pre-holiday season titles. Maybe one that may not get as much attention will possibly be the Canadian Brotherhood of the Wolf.

3. Jaxon's Dad

Jaxon's Dad Supporting Actor

Doug
    Say what you will about the film, a serious contendor is Pearl Harbor: The Director's Cut Vista Series. Buena Vista has seriously raised the bar for all future special editions. Excellent package.

4. Paul Butler

Paul Butler Extra

Doug,
    Totally agree, Pearl Harbor (Vista) gets my vote.
    Paul

5. JeromeS

JeromeS Stunt Coordinator

Pearl Harbor Director's Cut gets my vote so far.

Second would be Criterion's In The Mood For Love.

6. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

7. Matt Pelham

Matt Pelham Screenwriter

I'd vote for:

Pearl Harbor Vista
    Evil Dead Book of the Dead
    Memento Special Edition
    Traffic Criterion
    Notorious Criterion (that was 2002 right?)

8. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

I think "Notorious" was last year (a great, great DVD, to be sure).

So far, my favorites:
    In the Mood for Love: CC
    The Last Waltz: MGM

And I also think Fox's "Waking Life" DVD is an excellent release with great special features (except for a single, totally unrelated trailer that should have been left off). While I like the movie more than most of you apparently did (it was in my top-10 last year), I'll concede it's not nearly as good as "In the Mood" or "The Last Waltz". And the number one criteria for a worthy DVD is, of course, the film itself! But this one would certainly make my list...

9. Tony Scello

Tony Scello Second Unit

As stated above, Pearl Harbor: Director's Cut Vista Series deserves some serious consideration for DVD of the Year(to this point). The overall presentation, sheer volume of supplemental materials and even packaging make this 4 disc set really stand out. Having said this, I believe Lord of the Rings Extended Version/Collector's Gift Set may give Pearl Harbor a run for its money.

10. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

Fast and the Furious: dumb flick, but an astounding audio/video transfer and loads of relevant and interesting extra features

11. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

In honor of Andrew's sig, I think the Memento LE should get a second (although I know some of the ingenuity with the menus got on some people's nerves).

Of course, beating the LotR : 5 disc Extended Edition will be quite a feat at the end of the year.

12. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

Pearl Harbor: Directors Cut definately deserves the nod this year so far.

capt

13. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

So far this year...
    well like Rich I like Waking Life quite a bit, but I wouldn't say it was the best DVD release (a pleasant surprise on how well it was treated though).
    I would say:
    Memento Special Edition
    Traffic Criterion
    tons of very interesting content. The Traffic DVD has those detailed featurettes on editing, etc that you just don't find on other discs.
    I would assume the Pearl Harbor VS disc has to be up there too, though I don't own it (no suprise there [​IMG] ).
    Some others to consider maybe (not already mentioned) - AI, Rashomon CC, Usual Suspects SE, M*A*S*H 5 Star, Mad Max SE (with original Australian audio)
    Harry Potter's picture suffered too much and the extras were rather light, though plentiful.

14. Matthew_Millheiser

Matthew_Millheiser Supporting Actor

My top ten of the year so far, in no order whatsoever, are:
    1. Tron
    2. Children of Paradise CC
    3. Atlantis: The Lost Empire CE
    4. Wild Strawberries CC Traffic: CC
    5. In The Mood For Love CC
    6. Rashomon CC Pearl Harbor: DC
    7. ANY of the VAULT DISNEY discs (they are all superb), but if I had to choose one I'd go with Pollyanna... no wait, Swiss Family Robinson... arrgh!
    8. From Hell
    9. Memento SE
    10. Frank Herbert's Dune: SE
    If I had to choose any one of these as the best of the year so far, I'd probably go with In The Mood For Love, with a close second going to From Hell. Man, it's been a good year so far, but September 17th is gonna bust me right in the onions!!
    EDIT: I completely forgot about Traffic: CC -- a fantastic disc. So, as much as it pains me to do, I'm replacing Wild Strawberries with it. I also haven't purchased Pearl Harbor: DC yet. I have a feeling it'll creep onto this list, and regretfully I'll replace Rashomon with it.
    Eyucch.
    As far as including Tron vis-a-vis it's Laserdisc port -- the LD set was one of my favorite sets of all time. Yeah, it's a repeat, but what a grand repeat it is. Plus it has that amazing new documentary, and I'm overgeeked out about the film itself. For me, it stays on there proudly.
    EDIT: *sigh* Pearl Harbor is on. Rashomon is gone. I just wanna take a bath...

15. StevenW

StevenW Second Unit

I guess I will be the first to say "A Beautiful Mind"

16. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Interesting question. I was just puzzling what I've seen so far this year would go onto my contribution to Digitally Obsessed!'s Top 10 list for 2002, and really was having trouble coming up with ANYTHING that felt deserving, or anywhere near as good as my Top 10 for 2001. I'm expecting the heavy hitters from the last half of the year to dominate my list, heavily. Wild Strawberries Criterion is the only one I can think of that belongs on a list that combines quality of film, quality of transfer and quality of extras in one package. MGM's Blue Velvet reissue comes close.

I'll be picking up the Pearl Harbor Vista Edition, but don't expect it to make the list due to the low quality of the movie (but not having seen the director's cut I'll reserve judgment on that for the moment). As I mentioned elsewhere, I'll be buying considering the extras to be part of the Special Edition That Should Have Been for Tora! Tora! Tora!

17. Todd_Brown

Todd_Brown Second Unit

18. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Pearl Harbor Vista is the current champion
    Don't forget, DVD of the year is simply on technical and supplemental merits, not the quality of the contained film (tho it couldn't hurt [​IMG] )
    Contenders
    Monsters Inc:SE
    LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring 4disc
    Black Hawk Down-3 disc
    Spider-Man: SE
    Since most of Tron's supplements are LD ports, I'm not counting it
    Personally, I think it'll look like this:
    LOTR:Fellowship of the Ring 4disc
    Only a hair difference
    Pearl Harbor Vista Series /
    Monsters Inc:SE
    Spider-Man:SE
    Black Hawk Down-3disc

19. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Since most of Q4 hasn't been announced for WB's DVD's...

I think it'll be Around the World in Eighty Days.

With a newly restored Todd-AO 65mm negative in 30fps to work from, hi-fi Todd-AO sound (Approx 4.0, but a 5.1 track would be faithful adaption. Bass would be nice in a few places), 2 versions of the film (24fps and 30fps versions), 40+ hours of behind-the-scenes footage in 16mm and 35mm, 65mm bloopers and outtakes, an alternate prologue in 65mm, 2 deleted Eddie Fisher musical numbers in 65mm, and countless trailers and TV ads.

Add to the fact that the director, Michael Anderson is still with us and so is Shirley MacLaine, a commentary would be possible. Plus, the musical score exists separately from the soundtrack. There's even the original "Miracle of Todd-AO" teaser short, the full length A Trip To The Moon, a vintage board game which could be modified to a DVD-ROM game, and the original book. All in all, this DVD could potentially be an equal to the Fellowship of the Rings 4-disc set. (Eighty Days doesn't have the narrative power that FOTR has, but it does make it up in pure fun.)

If it becomes a 2003 release, it'll probably be FOTR 4-disc then.

20. AdamZ

AdamZ Stunt Coordinator

Am I the only one that thinks beauty and the Beast PE will be the best disc of the year