1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

AT&T / WarnerMedia's New Streaming Service - HBO Max

Discussion in 'Streaming and Digital Media' started by Adam Lenhardt, Feb 11, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Message #161 of 194 Oct 29, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
    Cranston37

Cranston37 Cinematographer

It doesn't sound like it, as you need to subscribe to HBO Now or get HBO through AT&T.

Are you sure the streaming service you have isn't HBO Go? That's the one you get when you subscribe to HBO through a TV provider. HBO Now is a separate subscription...

2. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I think there’s a reason they went with the HBO name and not a Warner or AT&T name. Historically, HBO has always been able to charge an above market rate for their service. Disney+ is gonna gobble up the low end of the market and skew very family friendly. Apple+ is gonna try premium content at bargain prices. I’m starting to think this may have been the smart move for Warner. Don’t try to beat them at the discount game. Put your most premium brand forward and instead of lowering its already high price, keep it where it is and expand the offering to include a century’s worth of catalog from the Warner library. “It’s not TV, it’s HBO” worked for them for decades. Maybe “It’s not streaming, it’s HBO” will too.

Lee Smith, Jeff Adkins and Cranston37 like this.
  3. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Well as a DirecTV Premier subscriber it looks like this service will be free for me.

4. Chris Will

Chris Will Screenwriter

Chris WIlliams
    Free for those who subscribe to HBO via AT&T but, not if you subscribe to HBO through other TV providers which cost the same or more sometimes. That’s kind of crappy IMO.

5. Garysb

Garysb Producer

Have been a bit confused about how much HBO content will be on HBO Max. Will it be HBO original content only. Will it be all the movies that are on HBO ? If I cancel HBO on Verizon will I be missing content by replacing it with streaming HBO Max?

6. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Cinematographer

Jeff Adkins
    During the livestream, it was mentioned that a deal would be offered to the non-AT&T distributors. They didn't give any details as to what kind of "deal" it would be though.

7. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Sam Posten likes this.
  8. Garysb

Garysb Producer

9. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Also, movies from Criterion.

And for classic movie lovers who mourn the loss of FilmStruck, Warner Bros. CEO Ann Sarnoff said the service will offer a rich library of films from the Warner Bros. and MGM catalog, curated titles from Turner Classic Movies, as well as “decades and decades of more great titles from The Criterion Collection.”

And, some movies that are on HBO:
    HBO Max Chief Content Officer Kevin Reilly made a similar point, noting that on average, half of the usage on subscription streaming services comes from the top 100 titles, so “quality over quantity” is important. To illustrate that quality, he pointed to titles like Sesame Street, as well as the Lord of the Rings movies, The Hobbit movies, The Matrix trilogy and The Conjuring films, plus every Superman and Batman movie from the past 40 years.

“We’re all-in with DC and the associated brand-love that DC generates,” Reilly said.

10. Message #170 of 194 Oct 30, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
    Cranston37

Deadline:

"Stankey and his team sought to clear up the matter of what happens to existing HBO assets, such as the legacy linear channel and streaming platforms HBO Now and HBO Go once Max is up and running. The latter two platforms will continue to operate for the foreseeable future. Stankey, though, sardonically described an “IQ test” for consumers pondering two $15 options: plain HBO and a far more robust HBO Max. “Why wouldn’t you want twice the content for the same price?”

"About 10 million customers of HBO who get it through AT&T-owned platforms like DirecTV and U-verse will get HBO Max free at launch. As to the rest of HBO’s footprint, “We are in active discussions with distributors the intent is to get the entire 30-plus million consumers access to HBO Max as quickly as we possibly can,” Goncalves said. Stankey pointed out that distributors “want to keep customers engaged on their platforms,” meaning they could integrate Max into the rest of their offerings, especially if they can take fees based on serving as a gateway."

11. Cranston37

"Other AT&T customers will get pitched promotional discount prices, and the company is in talks with pay-TV affiliates to offer HBO Max to current HBO users — also for no additional charge."

12. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    You’re right, I have HBO Go.

13. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Well, I never subscribed to HBO for $15 per month, so I will not be subscribing to this, either. That's just too high for me, considering that I am paying about $14 per month for Amazon Prime ($10) and Disney+ ($4) combined.

14. Cranston37

15. Robert Crawford

Robert
  16. Cranston37

That we knew - I think the article does a good job though explaining why HBO had to make the decisions it made in regards to keeping the multiple platforms for the short term.

17. Garysb

Garysb Producer

How does HBO Max effect the Criterion Channel if HBO Max is also offering Criterion movies. Be nice if they merged Criterion Channel subscribers into HBO Max.

18. Cranston37

Warner has refreshed their logo...

C335BFDF-ECBC-4B83-8E47-FD2CB4359BD3.

19. Cranston37

20. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    We’ll see. HBO Now, which is solely HBO content, is $15 and a very popular subscription. HBO has always been able to sell themselves as a premium offering at a premium price (hence the whole “Its not TV, it’s HBO” thing).

HBO Max will be $15 and will include everything already on HBO Now plus tons of extra stuff. I think they’ll be able to sell it. For me, it’s a no brainer. I already pay $15 for HBO Now... why wouldn’t I just switch to HBO Max and get tons more stuff for the same price?