What's new

HBO Max HBO Max (Official Thread) (1 Viewer)

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
I get HBO via Xfinity (used to be DTV). That gets me HBONow (or at least it used to on DTV). Will subscribing to HBO via Xfinity get me HBO Max?

It doesn't sound like it, as you need to subscribe to HBO Now or get HBO through AT&T.

Are you sure the streaming service you have isn't HBO Go? That's the one you get when you subscribe to HBO through a TV provider. HBO Now is a separate subscription...

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The way I look at it, I've had $15/month for HBO in my budget for a few years, so I'm basically getting this for free.

Cool.

I think there’s a reason they went with the HBO name and not a Warner or AT&T name. Historically, HBO has always been able to charge an above market rate for their service. Disney+ is gonna gobble up the low end of the market and skew very family friendly. Apple+ is gonna try premium content at bargain prices. I’m starting to think this may have been the smart move for Warner. Don’t try to beat them at the discount game. Put your most premium brand forward and instead of lowering its already high price, keep it where it is and expand the offering to include a century’s worth of catalog from the Warner library. “It’s not TV, it’s HBO” worked for them for decades. Maybe “It’s not streaming, it’s HBO” will too.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The service will cost $14.99 per month — the same price as HBO Now. WarnerMedia also says it will be free for HBO Now subscribers and for viewers who subscribe to HBO via AT&T. And it will launch in May of next year.
Well as a DirecTV Premier subscriber it looks like this service will be free for me.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
Free for those who subscribe to HBO via AT&T but, not if you subscribe to HBO through other TV providers which cost the same or more sometimes. That’s kind of crappy IMO.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Have been a bit confused about how much HBO content will be on HBO Max. Will it be HBO original content only. Will it be all the movies that are on HBO ? If I cancel HBO on Verizon will I be missing content by replacing it with streaming HBO Max?

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Free for those who subscribe to HBO via AT&T but, not if you subscribe to HBO through other TV providers which cost the same or more sometimes. That’s kind of crappy IMO.
During the livestream, it was mentioned that a deal would be offered to the non-AT&T distributors. They didn't give any details as to what kind of "deal" it would be though.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Thanks. So apparently as far as the current cable channel HBO is concerned HBO Max will have HBO original programming past and present but not the movies shown on cable HBO. Movies on HBO Max will be from the Warner library.
Also, movies from Criterion.

And for classic movie lovers who mourn the loss of FilmStruck, Warner Bros. CEO Ann Sarnoff said the service will offer a rich library of films from the Warner Bros. and MGM catalog, curated titles from Turner Classic Movies, as well as “decades and decades of more great titles from The Criterion Collection.”

And, some movies that are on HBO:
HBO Max Chief Content Officer Kevin Reilly made a similar point, noting that on average, half of the usage on subscription streaming services comes from the top 100 titles, so “quality over quantity” is important. To illustrate that quality, he pointed to titles like Sesame Street, as well as the Lord of the Rings movies, The Hobbit movies, The Matrix trilogy and The Conjuring films, plus every Superman and Batman movie from the past 40 years.

“We’re all-in with DC and the associated brand-love that DC generates,” Reilly said.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Deadline:

"Stankey and his team sought to clear up the matter of what happens to existing HBO assets, such as the legacy linear channel and streaming platforms HBO Now and HBO Go once Max is up and running. The latter two platforms will continue to operate for the foreseeable future. Stankey, though, sardonically described an “IQ test” for consumers pondering two $15 options: plain HBO and a far more robust HBO Max. “Why wouldn’t you want twice the content for the same price?”

"About 10 million customers of HBO who get it through AT&T-owned platforms like DirecTV and U-verse will get HBO Max free at launch. As to the rest of HBO’s footprint, “We are in active discussions with distributors the intent is to get the entire 30-plus million consumers access to HBO Max as quickly as we possibly can,” Goncalves said. Stankey pointed out that distributors “want to keep customers engaged on their platforms,” meaning they could integrate Max into the rest of their offerings, especially if they can take fees based on serving as a gateway."

Last edited:

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick

"Other AT&T customers will get pitched promotional discount prices, and the company is in talks with pay-TV affiliates to offer HBO Max to current HBO users — also for no additional charge."

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
It doesn't sound like it, as you need to subscribe to HBO Now or get HBO through AT&T.

Are you sure the streaming service you have isn't HBO Go? That's the one you get when you subscribe to HBO through a TV provider. HBO Now is a separate subscription...
You’re right, I have HBO Go.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Well, I never subscribed to HBO for $15 per month, so I will not be subscribing to this, either. That's just too high for me, considering that I am paying about $14 per month for Amazon Prime ($10) and Disney+ ($4) combined.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
There is little doubt that a large segment of people are going to be confused over HBO Max versus Warner's other services.

That we knew - I think the article does a good job though explaining why HBO had to make the decisions it made in regards to keeping the multiple platforms for the short term.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
How does HBO Max effect the Criterion Channel if HBO Max is also offering Criterion movies. Be nice if they merged Criterion Channel subscribers into HBO Max.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Warner has refreshed their logo...

C335BFDF-ECBC-4B83-8E47-FD2CB4359BD3.jpeg

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
We’ll see. HBO Now, which is solely HBO content, is $15 and a very popular subscription. HBO has always been able to sell themselves as a premium offering at a premium price (hence the whole “Its not TV, it’s HBO” thing).

HBO Max will be $15 and will include everything already on HBO Now plus tons of extra stuff. I think they’ll be able to sell it. For me, it’s a no brainer. I already pay $15 for HBO Now... why wouldn’t I just switch to HBO Max and get tons more stuff for the same price?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks