What's new

HBO Max HBO Max (Official Thread) (1 Viewer)

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
"CEO Randall Stephenson also said live sports and CNN news will be elements in the streaming service. Turner Sports has carried NBA games as well as Major League Baseball, NCAA basketball and PGA golf."

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
This is eventually going to encompass everything WarnerMedia owns, right? Or at least the vast majority of it?

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
The OP says older HBO content will be on this new HBO Max. Will the the older stuff still be available on HBO Go? If not that will suck. I’m on CBS AA, Netflix, and Amazon Prime. I’m maxed out.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
This is eventually going to encompass everything WarnerMedia owns, right? Or at least the vast majority of it?

There has been a tendency with these services for people to assume everything from that studio will be available to watch for one low low price, but I would definitely not go in thinking that...

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
There has been a tendency with these services for people to assume everything from that studio will be available to watch for one low low price, but I would definitely not go in thinking that...
That's probably in part because of Disney CEO Robert Iger's quote back in March saying "at some point, fairly soon after launch, [Disney+] will house the entire Disney motion picture library."

If Disney is doing that, people are assuming that others will be doing the same.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
That's probably in part because of Disney CEO Robert Iger's quote back in March saying "at some point, fairly soon after launch, [Disney+] will house the entire Disney motion picture library."

If Disney is doing that, people are assuming that others will be doing the same.

But you can't leave out the context of what that quote is referring to, which is ending the Vault program.

The 2nd half of the quote is “So, movies that have traditionally been kept in the vault, and basically been brought out every few years, will be on the streaming service.”

I take that to mean he's saying that their entire library will be available to be included on the service, not that all titles will be available to watch at all times.

Last edited:

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
But you can't leave out the context of what that quote is referring to, which is ending the Vault program.

The 2nd half of the quote is “So, movies that have traditionally been kept in the vault, and basically been brought out every few years, will be on the streaming service.”

I take that to mean he's saying that their entire library will be available to be included on the service, not that all titles will be available to watch at all times.
You might be right, but the word "permanently" was used time after time during the announcement presentation.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
You might be right, but the word "permanently" was used time after time during the announcement presentation.

And believe me I have no idea if I'm right about anything - we're all just guessing here.

But one other thing to point out is the presentation did give a number of 500 titles (I think), which is definitely below their entire library...

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
A snippet from a larger article on the CEO of WarnerMedia:

"WarnerMedia raised the curtain July 9 on the launch plan for its global streaming platform HBO Max. The premium cabler will include a collection of separate non-HBO streaming channels and on-demand archives drawn from the WarnerMedia vault."

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
A snippet from a larger article on the CEO of WarnerMedia:

"WarnerMedia raised the curtain July 9 on the launch plan for its global streaming platform HBO Max. The premium cabler will include a collection of separate non-HBO streaming channels and on-demand archives drawn from the WarnerMedia vault."
If it doesn’t have HBO content, why is it HBO Max?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Maybe I've completely misunderstood, but from all that I've read about this:

-HBO MAX will include content from HBO and non-HBO content from Warner's extensive library
-Existing, paying customers of HBO will be provided with HBO MAX accounts at no extra cost

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Gotcha - thanks for clarifying! So much info flying around it’s hard to keep track of it all.

Oh, I know! These services, and I don't think we fully realize this, really are a different direction for the industry. I think we're all chomping at the bit to find out more about them...

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I agree. I think this industry is at a major crossroads. All of the old revenue sources, from paying audiences at movie theaters to commercial sponsors on broadcast television, are drying up, and it remains to be seen if viewers are going to commit to paying for content in these new ways, or if the industry will fall into an extended period of decline as a result of audiences choosing piracy over payment.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks