What's new

AT&T/Time Warner Battle—Could WB lose Turner? (1 Viewer)

deepscan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JP
This is a question that has been on our minds for the past few days. If Turner Broadcasting is spun off from the TimeWarner battle, WB could once again lose its pre-1950 film library, as well as its RKO & pre-1986 MGM output. A huge chunk of a film legacy lost. What will it mean for us fans and how valuable will our blu rays become?

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
The former pre-1986 MGM/RKO/Pre-1948 Warner Bros. movie library is, or rather was, controlled by Turner Entertainment, which now exists in name only for trademark reasons. Not Turner Broadcasting.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
DirecTV is more likely to be sold than Turner Broadcasting in order to appease any concerns about an unfair monopoly.

A broadcasting network is worthless without content.
They were planning on offloading CNN last time I checked.

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
They were planning on offloading CNN last time I checked.

According to unnamed sources familiar with the negotiations, the Justice Department will make the selling of either Turner Broadcasting or DirecTV essential for merger approval, both the New York Times and Financial Times reported Wednesday.

LINK

Basically they can either keep the programming (Turner Broadcasting AKA CNN) or keep the satellite broadcasting network (DirecTV).

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
I guess AT&T is out to rule the media world. Have DirecTv for the last 6 years and since the AT&T merger the customer service has been poor and have not seen any positive changes to my service or programing.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Merger is officially a go WITHOUT CONDITIONS. AT&T gets to keep everything.

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
The only concern for me is if the newly formed company keeps resources like TCM as Direct TV exclusives and makes it unavailable to cable companies. I would think that unlikely, but you never know.

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
It's pretty wild seeing that even with the merger, the combined company is still only a third the size of Amazon, Alphabet, and Facebook in terms of market capitalization. Amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks