What's new

AT PLAY IN THE FIELDS OF THE LORD BD Release? (1 Viewer)

Ernest

Supporting Actor
Will we ever see a Blu-ray release for "At Play in the Fields of the Lord" an excellent movie shot on location in the Amazon. Starring Kathy Bates, Aidan Quinn, Daryl Hanna and John Lithgow as missionaries trying to bring religion to the indigenous people living in the Amazon. Tom Berenger is sympathetic to the ingenious people when he is asked to scare them with his airplane so they move their village. Tom adds another element to the movie's story by joining the tribe. All in all a very good movie that should be on Blu-ray.

Fields.jpg

DVBRD

Second Unit
Real Name
Andy
I'm quite surprised that this isn't available yet in HD. It's currently available digitally, but only in SD.

Last edited:

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I surely do agree that this is long overdue on Blu. It didn't even get a DVD release, and the earlier laser disc was pan and scan and looked absolutely awful. One of the best films of the 90's with an ecological and cultural message that is, if anything, more relevant now than when it was made. As we burn/encroach our way further into the South American rainforests, we slowly kill off the indigenous tribes, whether under the guise of being "well-meaning" religious missionaries, or simply plowing our way into life-giving jungles in order to plant some 1-2 year crop to feed the cows and pigs. How is this much different than what we did in the U.S. during the so-called Manifest Destiny"? We are simply a murderous species.

MarianK

Auditioning
Real Name
Marian
I doubt it will get a release anytime soon. There are scenes with naked boys playing around, Indian and one white, so in today's reality that won't pass.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I doubt it will get a release anytime soon. There are scenes with naked boys playing around, Indian and one white, so in today's reality that won't pass.

That little bit of very non-sexual child nudity should not be an issue. Criterion and others have released numerous titles containing it. Thing is, the story is the point. If pedophiles are zoning in on such movies, well, that's their issue, and should not interfere with the inclusion of perfectly innocent footage in films where it is totally appropriate. Just another example of the increasingly prudish religious right having PC complaints day in and day out. Enough is enough!

I have been campaigning for years for a Blu-ray release of this title because it is so damn important to our current environmental conversations. If Criterion could license it because Universal hasn't the balls to do it, fine. But this film and the remarkable HBO film THE BURNING SEASON with Raul Julia ought to be front and center of the films would-be environmentalists view.

Last edited:

DVBRD

Second Unit
Real Name
Andy
I have been campaigning for years for a Blu-ray release of this title because it is so damn important to our current environmental conversations. If Criterion could license it because Universal hasn't the balls to do it, fine. But this film and the remarkable HBO film THE BURNING SEASON with Raul Julia ought to be front and center of the films would-be environmentalists view.

Universal doesn't have the rights anymore. It's one of those Saul Zaentz titles that have been licensed to Warner Bros. Since WB have been more open about the idea of licensing or sublicensing to third-parties, I can see Criterion taking it.

Ernest

Supporting Actor
Until the End of the World just released by Criterion and Blue is the Warmest Color have lots of nudity in sex scenes. At Play in the Fields of the Lord is a very good movie with a strong story and very good acting. The movie was shot on location in the Amazon jungle making for some very beautiful scenery.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Given that Superman has been continuously in release since 1978 and contains similar footage of nude male children, I fail to see how that would be the issue. Inquiries should be directed to Warner Home Entertainment or Warner Archive, as they likely control the film now [produced by Saul Zaentz].

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Until the End of the World just released by Criterion and Blue is the Warmest Color have lots of nudity in sex scenes. At Play in the Fields of the Lord is a very good movie with a strong story and very good acting. The movie was shot on location in the Amazon jungle making for some very beautiful scenery.

I don't think the issue is nudity in general, but child nudity. Our society is pretty touchy about that.

Ernest

Supporting Actor
I don't think the issue is nudity in general, but child nudity. Our society is pretty touchy about that.
Very good point there is child nudity in the movie, not sexual in any way, that plays within the indigenous people's lifestyle living deep in Amazon jungle. Sleepers, an excellent movie, does not have nudity but there was no holding back when it portrayed rape of teenage boys in reform school. Sleepers was a very controversial movie especially the part Robert DeNiro played as a priest.

DVBRD

Second Unit
Real Name
Andy
I don't know how in this day and age how people would respond to tribal nudity in films. I'm pretty sure The Mission, with all the shots of naked native children, would probably get away with a PG-13 today, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone on the Internet accused the director of having an ulterior motive with the child nudity and given that the whole "anti-stranger danger" culture has gotten way out of hand lately...it wouldn't look good. I could be wrong, but I could be right, too.

Last edited:

MarianK

Auditioning
Real Name
Marian
Tribal nudity would be fine I guess, but from what I've seen in the bits I got to check out, there are also scenes involving a prepubescent white boy, naked (non-sexual, of course). I am not from the United States, so this was just my guess, based on the general feeling about political correctness in the States nowadays.

Btw. the movie is available on Amazon Prime, but due to geolicalization it's unavailable in my region. I have actually gone to the trouble of buying a supposedly good vpn to bypass the restrictions and finally watch the movie not in a Pan&Scan format. But I still get the message reading: This video is currently unavailable to watch in your location.

Could anyone based in the United States please confirm that the movie is actually available to be watched? Thanks!

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Not based in the US, but a quick look on the IMDb app on my iPhone shows it's not available on Amazon Prime in the US. for some reason, the app localises to the US even though I live in Canada. Also not available on iTunes.

MarianK

Auditioning
Real Name
Marian
Ok, I managed to get it from iTunes, using a vpn, then after a day of trying with my friend's help to convert it from m4v to some normal format, I finally succeeded lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
merrickw