What's new

At Play in the Field of the Lord (1 Viewer)

Ernest

Supporting Actor
Not a great movie but I always enjoyed it. Slow moving somewhat predictable, but with all the titles now on DVD this should be released. Excellent cast with Tom Berenger, Daryl Hannah, Kathy Bates, Aidan Quinn Tom Waits and John Lithgow starring in this 186 minute movie.

The plot deals with missionaries traveling deep into the Amazon to convert the indigenous natives to Christianity. With the recent announcement by the Brazilian government of the discovery of an indigenous tribe living in the Amazon, this movie reinforces the danger in contacting those people.

The Sundance Channel runs this movie from time to time and I was able to copy it to a DVD-R. Its okay, but I would love to buy a remastered dual layered DVD.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
So would I.
If the distributor decides to release a DVD, consider it bought.
Contemporary films rarely touch this type of classical story anymore, and I admire it very much.
Plus, how often do you get the chance to see Kathy Bates in nothing but a grass skirt doing the shimmy-shimmy-shake ?

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
This film was a long-time dream project for producer Saul Zaentz, who fought for years to get the rights to the novel. It wasn't a bomb, but it didn't do very well at the box office. I think that Zaentz himself may own the rights, perhaps jointly with another company. I am surprised that a DVD has yet to emerge. I'd love to finally see this film. As Richard says above, films of this type are rare now - The Mission, Mountains of the Moon, Black Robe - fascinating, beautiful films, I feel.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks