Blu-ray Review At Long Last Love Blu-ray Review

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I LOVE "Etiquette" (it was in the film when I saw it for the first time on television, too) and sincerely lament that it's not included on the blu-ray, even as an extra. Any additional moments with Eileen Brennan are worth it in my book.

If you'd like, it can be seen here in context :

Here's the thing, though (and where memory play tricks on us) :
Bogdanovich claims definitively that 'Etiquette' was not in ANY of the final cuts he approved. While it was part of the preview edit, it wasn't in the original theatrical version and it wasn't in his own re-cut of the film for network (ABC) television. Where it DID show up was in the non-theatrical 16mm version of the film (which featured yet another cut but not by Bogdanovich) and THAT 16mm version was often sold to local TV stations for use on their schedule (our local ABC afiliate must have owned a copy because, for awhile, it showed up regularly at all times of day) so there were at least TWO cuts floating around TV stations at the same time (Channel 11 out of New York played the OTHER version) so that's where the confusion arises.

EDIT: I found an old blog post which is really helpful in keeping track of the different versions and what each of them contained (though at one point toward the end it claims that Etiquette was in the ABC version which doesn't square with Bogdanovich's own recollection.)

Happy Reading!
Will, I never thanked you for providing the YouTube clip for this song, and for some reason I am just now getting around to watching it. Really fun! I had never seen it before. No version of At Long Last Love that I ever watched either in the theater or on cable TV channels like The Movie Channel or HBO had it in it.

• Love
Reactions: Will Krupp

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Will, I never thanked you for providing the YouTube clip for this song, and for some reason I am just now getting around to watching it. Really fun! I had never seen it before. No version of At Long Last Love that I ever watched either in the theater or on cable TV channels like The Movie Channel or HBO had it in it.
Isn't it adorable? When I first saw the movie on Cinemax after it being unavailable for years and years, they got to that moment and then the song just wasn't there. I was SO disappointed as I had no idea at the time that it was only in the old TV cuts. So glad you like it, too!

Reactions: Matt Hough

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Niloc