At least the Stones remasters mention SACD *inside* the digipaks.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KeithH, Nov 29, 2002.

1. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

As part of Circuit City's $9.99 CD sale today, I picked up four Stones remasters -- Metamorphosis, Beggars Banquet, Let it Bleed, and Flowers. When I got them home, I noticed a nice blurb about SACD inside the digipaks that I had not noticed with Hot Rocks 1964-1971. Here is what it says:

2. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

Keith,

It is good that they mention SACD inside the pack, but their wording does not make it seem like it is better then regular CD by mentioning any of the high-res benefits. Instead they say both CD and SACD benefit from DSD, making them look more on equal terms. For those people who have no clue what SACD is all about (the vast vast vast majority of the music buying public), this blurb will probably not grab their interest anymore then before they bought the Stones remasters.

J

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Justin, absolutely. On the one hand, SACD is not ABKCO's technology, so they may not feel compelled to promote it to the fullest. However, if that is the case, then why bother with SACD in the first place? They could have produced excellent-sounding CDs using either DSD or modern PCM mastering techniques, not included SACD layers, and said nothing about how the discs were produced.

4. Lin Park

Lin Park Second Unit

$9.99 [​IMG]
    Did you happen to see any other SACD's floating around for that?
    Lin

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Lin, nope, no other SACDs are on sale. The only other SACDs that Circuit City stocks are the Sony single-layer discs, which are displayed at the SACD kiosk. The sale only applies to CDs that are regularly priced between $10.99 and $13.99, and the Sony discs are, of course, priced higher. Also, the Stones hybrids are in the CD department and are considered CDs. The Sony discs are not. Perhaps the lack of mention of SACD capability on the Stones shrinkwrap is working to our advantage here. Probably none of the Circuit City employees even know they have SACD layers, if they even know what SACD is. That's O.K. Ignorance is bliss. The SACD layers will just be our secret. [​IMG]

6. David Lawson

David Lawson Screenwriter

David Lawson
    I've never been much of a Stones fan, but I kept waffling on whether or not to purchase a few of the hybrids for $10, if for no other reason than to double my SACD collection on the cheap.
    Sigh...the curse of being an early adopter, how you're tempted to pick up something just because it's available, with the actual desire for the product being secondary. [​IMG]

7. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

8. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

David,
    Who knows, maybe the Stones will grow on you. [​IMG]
    Lee,
    Nope. Sorry. Based on all the talk here and elsewhere, Pink Floyd and the Beatles look to be coming to DVD-Audio. Of course, you know how confident I am about these things. Floyd and The Fab Four coming to DVD-Audio are a sure thing. [​IMG]
    Speaking of adding surround sound where it does not belong, I am very disappointed to see that the BMG DVD-Audio release of Elv1s will only have a 5.1 track. [​IMG]

9. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

10. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Lewis, I figured the blurb appeared in the Hot Rocks digipak as well, however, I have not touched this digipack since the day I bought it. I always put discs into jewel cases since the digipaks wear out from constant handling. I have a bunch of digipaks in a box tucked away in a closet. [​IMG]