What's new

At Last! a High End pre and amp for music AND movies (1 Viewer)

Manuel Delaflor

Supporting Actor
The Daleth is an extraordinary equipment, it is a 5.1 preamplifier designed to hear music but doubles as a High End HT equipment. It can work with an Aleph 5 channel amplifier and it sounds like charm. Best I have listened in a while.

You can take a look at them here: www.margules.com

DanaA

Screenwriter
Manny,

The problem with Margules is that, at least last I checked, there is virtually no way for most of us to audition them as the dealers are few and far between in the U.S.

I do love the one product I have from them, on your recommendation if you recall, but wish they'd make inroads here in the U.S. with better distribution. I'd love to hear not only the piece of componentry you bring up, but I've long wanted to hear their speakers.

Elinor

Supporting Actor
Tubes?

No thanks. I like the accuracy ... the linearity and flat response of solid state circuits.

Manuel Delaflor

Supporting Actor
DanaA,

Yes I remember, the little ADE24, hehe. Nice to see you (your letters, this is).

Elinor,

Tubes?? Who mention anything about tubes?? :D you will get all the flat response you need (nor that is not possible with tubes, but thats another subject), check the specs, you will be surprised!

Ryan,

Its about 1400 bucks for the Pre, I don't know how much for the 5 channel amplifier. Check directly with them, the owner of the company is very friendly.

DanaA

Screenwriter
I will certainly support Manuel's description of the owner. Even though I bought one of their cheaper products, I sent a few correspondences to the company and he answered me personally (and patiently) each time. A very class act.

BruceD

Screenwriter
I just HATE it when manufacturer websites FORCE you to use FLASH.

Don't they understand many of us HATE FLASH!!!!!!!

The smart way to approach this is to have a welcome page that has a FLASH button and a NON-FLASH button.

No FLASH for me.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
That's not true anymore. Most have 5.1 analog bypasses.

This isn't anything new btw. Sony had a 5.1 analog preamp out years ago, and McCormack has one now too.

I do like the "topology of this discrete complimentary semiconductor power amplifier", and the class A input stage of the preamp though. ;) Be nice if the Aleph amp had more than 90W/channel though.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Kevin Brown:

The Daleth is an analog preamplifier, so it won't have DD/DTS decoding or any matrix processing.

Cheers,

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor
Well you just need a DVD player with it's own DD/dts decode and bass and time management.

Tom Camlioglu

Stunt Coordinator
True enough ... but I was remarking against the title of the thread.

But, I also wouldn't agree that having the DVD player do the duty is the best option either (even though it looks to be the only option) :wink:

Manuel Delaflor

Supporting Actor
Well, it doubles as a high quality HT solution, but it is designed to listen SACD and DVD-A without "the fuzzy sound of electronics", so to speak, of traditional receivers/processors. All I can say is that it sounds like nothing else I have listened to for music (even costly processors).

BruceD

Screenwriter
Could you please explain how it "doubles" as a high-quality HT solution?

I simply don't understand how it decodes DD/DTS?

Multichannel music from the multiple analog output cables from a SACD/DVD-A player I can understand. Unfortunately the DD/DTS decoders in these combo players are not a "high-quality HT solution".

Manuel Delaflor

Supporting Actor
What does a decoder have to do with the quality of sound? I mean, the components on the preamplifier, in it sound stages, are way more important than the decoding circuit, which, by the way, should be standard. If you were talking about a DAC I would have to agree, but afaik, a decoder is something you need to buy from either dolby or dts, to install it in your own design.

Please tell me if Im wrong here.

Kevin T

Screenwriter
i'm not sure about decoders, but i had considered a mccormack map-1 for a short while at one time. as far as people bickering and moaning about the margules not having a decoder, any dvd player worth a damn has a decent dd/dts decoder. and i would have to bet that anybody considering buying the margules or even remotely thinking about it wouldn't have a home theater consisting of an apex they bought on clearance from wal-mart.

kevin t

BruceD

Screenwriter
A few perspectives:

Except for Meridian or Lexicon, most HT processor manufacturers (including DVD players) buy their DSP processors (DD/DTS decoders) from semicondiutor vendors (TI, Motorola, Cirrus, etc.) who provide DSP chips that come with complete pre-approved software implementations of DD/DTS, even the standardized bass management functions. But these DSP implementations are not all the same. They differ in power and capabilities (and thus quality).

The processor chips used in combo-players are the absolute cheapest/minimalist chip implementations of DD/DTS hardware and software (very weak or non-existant bass management) offered by the semiconductor manufacturers (i.e. bottom of the barrel). This digital section of the combo-player is essentially an afterthought and probably about the same quality as the cheapest DD/DTS receiver in the marktplace (i.e. not tuned for high-quality).

IMO, the DD/DTS decoding from a DVD player is NOT high-quality sound for the reasons stated above. Everybody has their own opinion, but I don't think a high-quality analog preamp can make up for less than high-quality input from the lowest quality DD/DTS decoder (garbage-in . . garbage-out). :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks