What's new

At home calibration... (1 Viewer)

fI've been reading a review of my TV (Sony KP-51WS510 pictured below) on Cnet.com and they say that the TV is great after calibration has been done to the TV. Personally, the TV looks good to me, but I'm new to home theaters. If one of you guys came over, you might say that this is off and that needs tweaking. However, I'd like the best picture possible.

Professional callibration is an option, but they state that I should look into one of the home calibration DVDs first. The four DVD's they have listed are:

-Video Essentials
-Avia Guide to Home Theater
-Sound and Vision Home Theater Tune-up
-Digital Video Essentials

I feel that the Avia Guide to Home Theater is best for me being a beginner and the DVD being complete. Do you guys think these work at all? If so, which one do would you choose? They say that the Video Essentials is the industry choice, but you would require some knowledge of TV setup.

What would you guys recommend? Thanks.

Chad B

Stunt Coordinator
I agree, Avia is great for both beginners and advanced users. The only problem is, it seems to have navigational problems in Toshiba DVD players. It should be OK in a Sony, if that's what you have. My second choice would be the Sound & Vision. DVE is excellent but it is very hard to get used to and navigate.

Johnny_M

Second Unit
DVE is difficult at first, took me a while to figure it all out. I am also a noob, but its like anything else, the more you use it the more it makes sence, I am very happy with it now. Never used any of the others. But I think all you really need is a DVD that will display the test patterns, and give you a brief over view of how to use each pattern. I think all the calibration dvds work just fine for that.

Johnny

Steven.W.T

Stunt Coordinator
When I get one, if ever, hopefully soon, I'll just use the THX test patterns on my Xmen and Star Wars dvds. These dvds are too expensive, too bad you can rent them.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
I recommend you not utilize the patterns on the THX dvds, as some vary from disc to disc. The cost of a proper calibration disc is miniscule compared to the price for a TV, and the value of it is huge. But if the thx patterns are your only option, definitely use them.

Calibration of ANY display is a necessity.

This is some good info. I'll get the Avia and try it out. It's definitely worth it to try as long as there will not be any detrimental effects if I follow the directions closely.

Johnny_M

Second Unit
its a good investment. if your going to be setting up surround sound it will help you with that also.

johnny

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks