What's new

! At Fox Studios with the Execs! Post Your Fox Questions Here and We Will Ask Away (1 Viewer)

Mr. Masters

Agent
Real Name
Stefan
Konstantinos said:
I discovered this thread too late.

Pity...

I would have asked if they will ever release a DNR free Predator!

I love that film, but still can't bring myself to buy any of the Bluray releases.

I read somwhere, that Fox did for the UHE a new 4K scan, and make the rest in 2K.

So they can use this scan, and redo the colorgrading without DNR.

My question is, could Fox release remastered Blu-rays of Die Hard 1-3, new 4K masters exists since 2013, next year?

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I also wondered about the other Irwin Allen TV series on blu. LIS is a cult series does this mean from what I read that they will not be out?

Finn

Insider
Real Name
James Finn
JoeDoakes said:
With the Fox 100 giving us high def versions of a lot of films I never expected to see in that format and their openness, Fox has been really doing a great job with their library lately. There's a line in the Rolling Stones song "Some Girls" that goes, "American girls want everything you can possibly imagine." I think it's true for American film fans too (myself included), but I do appreciate Fox doing what they can in terms of releases and communication.
Thanks. That means a lot.

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
Finn said:
Thanks. That means a lot.
I want to thank Fox for their TODD-AO releases. They are the crown jewels of my collection. I hope there are more to come.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Mark Collins said:
I also wondered about the other Irwin Allen TV series on blu. LIS is a cult series does this mean from what I read that they will not be out?
Well, Time Tunnel is supposed to be out in UK next year, but the listing is there for a couple of years now, and it always gets cancelled for later..

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Time-Tunnel-Blu-ray/69233/

• Available for the first time on Blu-ray!
  • New 5.1 surround sound mixes provide an extraordinary new depth to the audio.
  • A 1080 HD 1:33:1 spec. digitally enhanced to significantly improve the picture quality & increase depth of field, making it far superior to the existing DVD.
  • All 30 episodes to be restored to their original uncut format & broadcast order.
  • Packed full of bonus material including the original unaired pilot, interviews with the cast, the TV movie from 1976, the unaired 2002 TV pilot and more...
  • Will contain a brand new booklet, written in association with the world s most prominent & knowledgeable Irwin Allen devotees, The Irwin Allen News Network.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
McCrutchy said:
I don't think I'm out of line at all. In the history of home video, it's been a pretty linear progression. VHS and LD co-existed until DVD, then DVD was supplanted by Blu-ray. But now, people (who should know better) are telling me that I should accept a new "format" which is less (and in some cases, far less) than Blu-ray audio and video quality, and which is out of my control, because it isn't based on physical copies, purely because it's (apparently) more convenient for them. I don't care about streaming, at all, and if people want to stream, download, whatever, that's fine. But what isn't fine, is that this is happening at the expense of quality Blu-ray releases. And I'm a grown person, I know the world isn't perfect, but to tell me I'm out of line because I simply question why someone who runs a site based around home theater would rather stream then purchase Blu-ray Discs, is, frankly, rude.

And just for the record, I don't watch, and have never bought, any of the shows you mentioned in your post (I'm considering the complete Justified from Germany, but only if the German BD of the final season has lossless audio), so clearly, there is at least one other person on this planet buying your favorite TV shows on Blu-ray, too. :)
Frankly, I found your previous comments rude because you're questioning him how to spend his personal monies and then telling him he's part of the problem. It's none of your business how he spends his monies. Furthermore, the market place is so vast, a small segment of consumers just isn't enough to sustain enough profitability for studios to release video products as you wish. If you want to assign who's responsible for this problem then assign it to the consumer base.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I guess I'm part of the problem too. I am very selective on what TV shows I purchase on Blu-Ray. So much so that's it is only two or three titles a year. An HBO series and American Horror Story. That's about it. The rest I prefer DVD due to cost of the season sets in Blu-Ray.

McCrutchy

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
Robert Crawford said:
Frankly, I found your previous comments rude because you're questioning him how to spend his personal monies and then telling him he's part of the problem. It's none of your business how he spends his monies. Furthermore, the market place is so vast, a small segment of consumers just isn't enough to sustain enough profitability for studios to release video products as you wish. If you want to assign who's responsible for this problem then assign it to the consumer base.

I apologize if you found my posts rude, but I'm not quite sure why you feel the need to interject yourself, or to tell me how you think I should conduct civil discussions with others. I never told Ron how to spend his funds, nor did I ever inquire about how he does. I merely pointed out the fact to him that while we all seem to bemoan the lack of TV releases on Blu-ray, here he is apparently not buying them, because he prefers to stream them. A huge part of why the Blu-ray format is consumer apathy, and as I think you try to point out at the end of your post, I am merely assigning blame to the appropriate customer base (Blu-ray capable people who watch TV). And I think it's appropriate to hold home theater enthusiasts to a higher standard than the average consumer, because if we aren't buying discs, how can we expect average consumers to do so? It has nothing to do with Ron personally at all, but it is meant to demonstrate how far-reaching the new "instant gratification"-oriented media culture has come.

ahollis said:
I guess I'm part of the problem too. I am very selective on what TV shows I purchase on Blu-Ray. So much so that's it is only two or three titles a year. An HBO series and American Horror Story. That's about it. The rest I prefer DVD due to cost of the season sets in Blu-Ray.

I can understand being selective, because many television programs are mediocre, for instance, I don't like the standard 22 episode seasons, because I think they require too much padding out. Perhaps I sometimes forget, since I am region-free, and 50Hz capable, so I am able to buy more TV shows from Europe, which I happen to prefer. I do like some HBO and premium channel content, and I was relieved to see The Jinx get released as a North American exclusive (it went DVD-only elsewhere, like the UK) because I found it so fascinating.

However, particularly as you're being selective, I'm not following on the cost issue, as most of the U.S. TV releases are only $5 more on Blu-ray than DVD on release week (e.g., this week's new release, Season Three of Bates Motel, is $29.99 vs. $24.99 for DVD). Again, just to be clear, I am not trying to pick a fight, but all of the releases I see in the stores from the majors like Fox seem to conform to this pricing differential. Are you simply waiting for firesale prices on the DVD editions (like Black Friday week), or do you find the $5 difference too much? Or have I missed something, and the shows you are after have a larger price difference on BD vs. DVD?

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
McCrutchy said:
Are you simply waiting for firesale prices on the DVD editions (like Black Friday week), or do you find the $5 difference too much? Or have I missed something, and the shows you are after have a larger price difference on BD vs. DVD?

Bingo.

"Fire sale" prices on the bluray versions.

I don't know about other people on here, but I'm somewhat of a cheapskate when it comes to dvd/bluray.

(I don't know how many other people on here are willing to admit this outright). :)

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I just want to thank Ron and Fox for the information they provided him with. The list of 100 films that Ron announced I just hope some of them will make it to Blu-ray. I saw so many I would love to have hard copies of. Marilyn 1963 is at the top of my list. I hope some of them might even go to Twilight Time if Fox does not wish to put them out on Blu-ray.

I even hope that if not they can come out from the Fox archive collection.

I at least find hope in the information that Ron has provided us with.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
McCrutchy said:
I apologize if you found my posts rude, but I'm not quite sure why you feel the need to interject yourself, or to tell me how you think I should conduct civil discussions with others. I never told Ron how to spend his funds, nor did I ever inquire about how he does. I merely pointed out the fact to him that while we all seem to bemoan the lack of TV releases on Blu-ray, here he is apparently not buying them, because he prefers to stream them. A huge part of why the Blu-ray format is consumer apathy, and as I think you try to point out at the end of your post, I am merely assigning blame to the appropriate customer base (Blu-ray capable people who watch TV). And I think it's appropriate to hold home theater enthusiasts to a higher standard than the average consumer, because if we aren't buying discs, how can we expect average consumers to do so? It has nothing to do with Ron personally at all, but it is meant to demonstrate how far-reaching the new "instant gratification"-oriented media culture has come.
Because it's my job on this forum! And who gave you the right to pass judgement on others as far as what their standards should be? This is a hobby, it's a good hobby, but it shouldn't be a hobby that defines us as a person. Furthermore, how would the average consumer know whether home theater enthusiasts aren't buying discs for TV series? You called out Ron as he was trying to convey studio information to the membership, to me that makes it personal. You might not think so, but even Ron stated he thought your comments were out of line. Anyhow, I'll let you have the last word on this matter as this thread has been derailed enough.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
ahollis said:
You're doing what's best for you and there's nothing wrong with that.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
jcroy said:
I don't know about other people on here, but I'm somewhat of a cheapskate when it comes to dvd/bluray.

(I don't know how many other people on here are willing to admit this outright). :)

I pay whatever's necessary but not more, and I don't buy stuff I'll watch only once. I'll pay Twilight Time prices without complaint when appropriate and I'll bargain hunt when the opportunity arises.

I do think that being a cheapskate at all times weakens the market and makes it more difficult for disc producers to trade profitably, which in turn makes it less likely that the films we love will be released on disc.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
Interesting discussion in this thread which I think confirms where the market is going. Sales of disc based media is declining fast as streaming takes over. A year or two back I thought we had perhaps 5 years to collect the TV/films we want on blu-ray. I am far more pessimistic now after the comments from Fox. Some catalogue titles (with the minimum of money spent) will be passed to other distributors but most will only be available for streaming. This takes the industry back to the pre VHS days when you had to pay to watch a film each time and couldn't record from television. 4K discs will be very niche and perhaps in 10-15 years nothing will be distributed on disc.

I will give it another year and then move on from lamenting what hasn't been released to being very grateful for those titles which are. In the meantime a multi-region capability is essential.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
McCrutchy said:
A huge part of why the Blu-ray format is consumer apathy, and as I think you try to point out at the end of your post, I am merely assigning blame to the appropriate customer base (Blu-ray capable people who watch TV). And I think it's appropriate to hold home theater enthusiasts to a higher standard than the average consumer, because if we aren't buying discs, how can we expect average consumers to do so? It has nothing to do with Ron personally at all, but it is meant to demonstrate how far-reaching the new "instant gratification"-oriented media culture has come.

(As an offtopic aside).

In several niches unrelated to tv/movies/dvd/bluray/ld/vhs/betamax, I use to think almost exactly in this manner when I was younger. :)

Though fortunately as I got older, I came to the realization that I was being played for as a "sucker". Without being too specific or political, I was basically the equivalent of a "useful idiot" in these particular niches (which were non-political and non-religious).

(Moderators: Feel free to delete this post if it is deemed inappropriate and/or too "political").

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Persianimmortal said:
I never realized that my ultimate goal as a home theatre enthusiast was to "buy discs". I've been laboring under the mistaken impression that my aim was to entertain myself, whether that involved DVDs, Blu-rays, streaming or digital download.

Koroush,

I don't think you have had a mistaken impression.

You hit the nail on the head as to what this hobby is all about.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
TravisR said:
That's alot easier to believe than when Cameron somewhat recently blamed Fox for them not being out.

Ya think? :D

I was shocked how many people accepted Cameron's attempt to blame Fox for the hold-up on "The Abyss" - like Fox would tell Cameron "no" to anything, much less a fairly simple request.

Cameron is a cash cow for the studio - they're not gonna risk that relationship over something this minor...

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
For TV shows, I too am "part of the problem". My wife and I watch a ton to TV (all the NCIS', along with several other shows). But we either watch them during their regular time slot or DVR them for later viewing. But, if we want to revisit them later, it's always either Netflix or Amazon Video. In my 700+ BD and DVD collection, I have exactly 2 boxsets of TV series....the first two seasons of Wild, Wild West and the only season of Search. TV to me is much less likely to be revisited on a regular basis, especially when it comes to re-watching an entire season in order, although I'll catch re-runs on cable when I'm just looking for something to kill time. On the other hand films are something I watch over and over again and love to have in a physical media format.

The only problem I have with streaming is the fleeting, come-and-go nature of the beast. A film is there one month, gone the next, and who knows when it will appear again. I've also noticed that the pre-1970 catalog problem that we have in physical media is also now encroaching on the streaming marketplace as well. Netflix (and Amazon) used to have a treasure trove of older films available on their streaming services but now they have significantly reduced the titles available for the pre-1970 period. I used to use streaming as a "testing ground" for some older films that I wasn't as familiar with....I'd watch them on streaming and that would help me make a decision as to whether I'd purchase the DVD/BD. Now that strategy is less and less workable.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Persianimmortal said:
I never realized that my ultimate goal as a home theatre enthusiast was to "buy discs". I've been laboring under the mistaken impression that my aim was to entertain myself, whether that involved DVDs, Blu-rays, streaming or digital download.

Discs? Forget discs. You should be collecting 35mm prints, otherwise you're contributing to the death of film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks