Asymmetric Speaker Placement

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by DanielKellmii, Mar 1, 2004.

1. DanielKellmii

DanielKellmii Supporting Actor

Due to the set-up of my family room, I have two options for setting up my surrounds. What I have now has the surrounds and the front speakers lined up. All the surround point towards the TV right now. Something like this:

Front LeftFront CenterFront Right
    TV

couch
    Surround LSurround CenSurround Ri

It sounds great. I was thinking about putting the speakers on the side walls, but room is open to the kitchen on one wall. There is a post that I can put the surround left speaker on. That set up would look like this:

Front Left Front Center Front Right
    TV

Surround Left Surround Right
    (facing -->) couch (

2. Nathan Stohler

Nathan Stohler Second Unit

If you have to have asymmetric speaker placement, the most important thing is to calibrate your system so that the SPL levels for each speaker are the same.

By delay settings, I assume these would be similar to distance settings (how far the speakers are from the listening position). Although these are good to tweak for timing issues, they will not compensate for the differences in SPL for your asymmetric setup.

If you're serious about it, get an SPL meter (if you don't have one already), or at the very least, use your receiver's test tones and try to balance your speakers by ear.

3. LarryGS

LarryGS Auditioning

Also, instead of pointing the SL and SR speakers at the couch, try pointing them rearward, parallel to the wall. This works well in many asymmetric configurations.

4. DanielKellmii

Larry, thanks for the input. But I am a little bit confused. Are you suggesting that I try to "bounce" the sound off the back wall?

5. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Consider the following link which discusses speaker placement and a variety of other interesting topics.

6. DanielKellmii

Great stuff.