What's new

Asus A7A266 motherboards... (1 Viewer)

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor
If you have any experience with this board, can you tell me if it truely takes DDR RAM? I've read reviews of it at newegg.com and some reviewers mention that the board does NOT accept DDR RAM. I find that hard to believe since it has 2 DDR slots and 3 SDRAM slots.

That being said, obviously I want to go with DDR RAM so does that basically render the SDRAM slots useless? Why even have that type of board architecture? Thanks!

Geno

Supporting Actor
i HAD THE A7M266 VERSION OF THE BOARD AND ITS PROBLEM WAS NOT BEING ABLE TO EMPTY THE RAM TO MAKE ROOM FOR MORE DATA. ON MY 266PII, i COULD OPEN ALL MY PROGRAMS AND GET WORK DONE. WITH THE A7M266, ONCE I OPENED 3D STUDIO-MAX, PHOTOSHOP, AUTOCAD, THUMBS AND THE REST OF MY PROGRAMS WOULD NOT LOAD UP. "INSUFFICIENT MEMORY" IS WHAT IT SAID, EVEN THOUGH i HAD TWICE THE MEMORY AS MY 266 PII. SO I CHANGED OUT FOR A CHEAPER BOARD THAT CAME WITH AN ONBOARD SOUND CARD [STORE WOULDNT TAKE BACK THE ONE I HAD JUST BOUGHT TO FIT ON THE ASUS]nOW EVERYTHING IS A-OK

ThucN

Agent
I have this motherboard, and I have 768 MB of DDR memory installed (one 256 MB module and one 512 MB module). My system seems to work OK.

You're correct that the SDRAM slots are rendered useless, because you can't combine DDR with regular SD memory. I don't know why the designers bothered putting both types of memory slots on this board.

I got the A7A266 because it was one of the first boards with DDR support. I haven't kept up to date with all the new motherboards, but I'm guessing that you could find lots of boards competing with the A7A266.

Side note: installing more than 512 MB of RAM on Windows 9x or ME causes memory problems for Windows such that you'll get "Out of memory" errors. This is documented by Microsoft itself. There is a simple fix for this though.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I have this exact board using the AMD Athalon 1.2G and 256 of the DDR RAM. No problems noted at all.

I am thinking of upgrading to the newer A7V266-E that supports the new AMD Athalon XP CPUs that have speeds up to 1.9+G.

Parker

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor
So the A7A266 won't support the Athlon XP 1900? What is the highest processor it will?

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Rob:

Nope that mobo will only go up to 1.2G. You will need to get the A7V266-E for the new Athalon XP chips.

I am thinking of getting this same set up.

Parker

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Glenn:

Ok, so this has been changed then. When I bought this mobo it only supported up to 1.2.

Parker

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks