astral projection

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike boettner, Sep 7, 2002.

1. Mike boettner

Mike boettner Stunt Coordinator

does anyone here do this? i've know about this for a while and have thought seriously about learning how to do it. anyone else?
    Mike!

2. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    My mom told me about a guy she knew back in the 70s that used to do it. He was able to tell her things that there was no way he should have known without being in the same room.

3. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

4. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

Like many other "supernatural powers", astral projection has no basis in fact. The great James Randi has written about the utter failure of "astral projectionists" to demonstrate their powers under controlled conditions. Instead of claiming the remarkable abiilty to "astral project" to Venus or Jupiter or some such "amazing" place, they've simply been asked to "project" to a sealed room very close by and state what's in it. After all, since it's so close, it should be trivially easy for someone who can visit the planet Xanadu or wherever it is such a person visits.

They failed miserably at describing the contents of the room.

5. Vickie_M

Vickie_M Producer

OOH! I was going to take this perfect opportunity to say something about James Randi and give his website URL, but I see that Chris and Robert have beaten me to it.
    Still, as long as I'm here:
    http://www.randi.org/

6. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

Such tests are meaningless in proving that such powers exist. The only prove that there are frauds out there. I say this because the folks that can REALLY do ESP, astrally project, etc are themselves rich and secure, and have no desire or incentive to prove otherwise. [​IMG]

7. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

8. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

Since I'm neither rich nor secure, how would I know?
    However I'll make a guess that being OVERLY rich (ala Bill Gates), means you lose your security as you become well known. Once that happens, then people start asking questions, slapping you into mental hospitals, drafting you for the NSA, and slapping pies into your face.
    However there are thousands of millionaires out there who fly under the radar.
    And by the way, there was a smilie on that post.

9. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Ok, who astrally projected themselves into Danny's body and made him post those (nonsensical) messages?
    [​IMG]

10. Mike boettner

Mike boettner Stunt Coordinator

DAMNIT!!!! How do i put this lid back on this can of worms!?!?!?![​IMG]
    Mike!

11. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

My last astral-projection experience occurred when I was in my early twenties and in college. After the Orange Sunshine wore off, I returned to my body. Amazing.

Even more amazing is the oft-referred-to James Randi. He is "must" reading.

12. Anders Englund

Anders Englund Second Unit

I studied this a bit a couple of years back. It's quite interesting, though I never fully managed to do it. Whether you believe it or not, here's what I remember:

The astral plane is more or less where you consciousness is focused when you dream. This means than everyone do astral project most every knight, but few have actually learned to control their dreams enough to actually use it.

"But", you ask, "my dreams don't look much like reality. It's actually quite f***ed up. What about guys walking around in the real world when astral projecting?"
    Well, this is a bit harder to explain. It's important to know that the "reality" you encounter in your dreams is actually created by you. When you learn how to control your dreams, you'll be able to step outside that reality. You still won't walk around as a ghost in the real world, and you never will. But anyone and anything creates the astral plane whether they mean to or not, at all times, though since you are more focused on it when you dream, you tend to be more... creative. So what you actually walk around in is an "echo" of the real world. That way it's also possible to enter another persons dreams, though you probably wouldn't like to.

Was this helpful?

--Anders

13. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Anders, that sounds like lucid dreaming! Or is this something totally different?

I have had a few sleep experiences similar to astral projection however. Almost lucid-like.

Jack, is Orange Sunshine one of those orange juice drinks? I hope it turn your skin orange from an overdose!

14. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ

15. Anders Englund

Anders Englund Second Unit

16. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

There is no spoon.

17. Dennis Reno

Dennis Reno Supporting Actor

I astral projected once after consuming a mixture of Boone's Farm and Mad Dog 20/20.

I recall seeing a show on Discovery or TLC regarding the CIA's use of astral projection. I guess both sides tried many different "things" in an effort to figure out what the other side was doing.

18. BarryR

BarryR Supporting Actor

BARRY RIVADUE
    The Amazing Randi would still deny everything even if a ghost bit him. [​IMG]

19. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Mr. Randi doesn't deny anything. He simply looks at things as they really are, with a critical eye, and calls 'em as he see 'em. If only more people were capable of such critical thought. But, then, Fox would have no economic incentives to produce those stupid "alien autopsy" or "faked Moon landing" specials.

20. Rain

Rain Producer

I tend to agree with Barry.

While I do greet these types of things with skepticism, I wouldn't take a blanket position that I know for certain that all things which are beyond human comprehension are necessarily "fake."
    Randi is not a skeptic, he's a dogmatist (if that's a word) with a very closed mind.

For a more objective and open-minded perspective on these types of phenomenon, I recommend the writings of Mr. Robert Anton Wilson.

On the other hand, did anyone happen to see that Crossing Over guy make a fool of himself on Larry King Live? I was so embarrassed for him (and his believers) that I couldn't even watch it all.