What's new

Asterix Mission Cleopatre (1 Viewer)

Richard Cook

Stunt Coordinator
Hi folks
I've just bought the original french version of this disc, it was released last week, mainly to help me improve my French and for a laugh. It has a great DTS track and some wonderful sequences, check out the pyramid building to the strains of James Brown's "I feel Good" :D
I wasn't going to wait for a Uk release, if it ever happens as the dubbing was dreadful and bore no resemblance to the perception of the characters
So, has anybody else seen it/bought it?
Cheers

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Richard,

I was thinking about ordering it from amazon.fr, and wondered if it was good at all. So I can't contribute to your thread, but thanks for the information. I guess I don't have to wait any longer.

Cees

Bob Graham

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Graham
I'm going to wait for the eventual UK release. I bought the first, ASTERIX AND OBELIX TAKE ON CAESAR, which was never released in theaters or on video in the US. To my pleasant surprise, the english language version was prepared by Terry Jones who also dubbed the voice of Obelix. It's quite surreal hearing the voice of Terry Jones come out of Gerard Depadieu.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I saw it in the theater (in French) and really liked it. I thought it was a huge improvement over the first live action Asterix movie. I presume the French DVD doesn't have English subtitles, but if you know some French you won't miss them...

Ted

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
I've got the first Asterix and wasn't impressed. I'm glad to hear good things about the sequal. I may pick it up.

By the way, if you guys have never seen Les Inconnus, a French comedy troupe, they are freaking hilarious. I just placed an order for the 4th disc of their best of collection (I already own the first 3) and I heartily recommend them to anyone who loves comedy.

Their skits run the entire gamut of culture (pop and otherwise) and feature great comedy and some biting social commentary.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
I ordered the pack (has both: the acted film and the animated one; the last one has subtitles in 'most all European languages. Indeed I doubt if the French version of the acted film won't have English subtitles or an English soundtrack).

Cees

Richard Cook

Stunt Coordinator
Cees,

I hadn't heard about the pack with both versions of the film.

The one I picked up at Carrefour was a 2 disc pack, but the second disc contains various extras such as outtakes, no sign of the animated version!

Simon Basso

Stunt Coordinator
This month's Sight and Sound reviews Mission Cleopatre, and state that the version released to UK cinemas will be subtitled. I imagine the subsequent dvd will be similar.

Tom_Bechet

Second Unit
I don't wanna be a smart ass... oh well Nevermind
*smartass mode on*
the french set was released 28/08
the dutch set was released a week ago
hence you have the dutch set
*smartass mode off*;)
(no hardfeelings)
I have the french set
does the dutch set have full bitrate DTS??
that film is soooo much better thanthe first and have u already sat down and checked all the little references in the film (there are hundreds) the best one is "l'empire contre-attaque"
so funny
does it actually ghave all the extras as the french, as it is a few € cheaper??

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Richard,

It arrived today (I haven't seen it yet).
The box set is called "Mission Cléopâtre, Le Coffret 2 DVD: Le Film + Le Dessin Animé". Total price (including shipping, etc.): € 45,75.

The animated film has French, English, German and Dutch soundtracks and subtitles in the same languages + Spanish, as well as Close Captions in French for the hearing impaired. There's a 52 minutes documentary as bonus track, featuring René Goscinny, and more.

The acted film only has French subtitles for the hearing impaired, but for those who do understand French that would be enough (I myself often have English subtitles on in English spoken films, although my understanding of the English language is better than my French, because it helps understanding wispered sentences, slang, etc.). It also has a full DTS track, next to a DPL and a DD track. The disc is double-layered, with bonus material (e.g. a commentary by Alain Chabat).
I suppose this is the same disc as yours.

Cees

Tom_Bechet

Second Unit
Right:
Sorry richard. I apologyse to you. You specified in your post that u have the french set.
I missed that one, sorry:b

Richard Cook

Stunt Coordinator
No problem Tom

I picked it up on one of our regular shopping trips, we live quite close to the tunnel.

They were playing the disc everywhere that sold DVDs, so by the time we had walked around Cité Europe, I had to buy it. Finally getting it at the supermarket Carrefour, with all the other groceries.

Ou est le d'agneau???!!!!

Cheers

Tom_Bechet

Second Unit
Same in luxembourg. By the times I was out of the shop I've seen it anyway.
great film, so much better than the first, Djamel is great
Have u tried watching it with the french subs?? hilariuos during the interrogation scene
and the director's cut is great as well
man I don't regret those 23.99€ a bit
I've seen it about 6 or seven times in as many weeks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks