What's new

Astaire-Rogers Volume 2 for October 17th (1 Viewer)

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson

Um...wouldn't the sleeves be exactly the same as the sleeves the owners of the previous releases will already have? Why couldn't the original DVDs plus their cases just be slipped into the new big box alongside the new releases? Why bother including sleeves? Unless the new releases are in slim cases, but I thought Warner said that the second Astaire/Rogers box would utilize keepcases to match those in the first box.

Does not compute...

Jeff Newcomb

Second Unit

I'm guessing that the five-disc set of with just the Volume Two releases will be regular-sized Amarays, but the massive twelve-disc set with the books will be in slim cases (or possibly digipacks) to conserve space.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I'm so happy I ran out of cash to pick up the first release!!

This is indeed great news, I can't wait for that deluxe set!!!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I'm pleased about the upcoming release and can't wait to have the entire series of films.

I have to admit I was a little disappointed that Warners isn't offering LOVELY TO LOOK AT as an extra on the ROBERTA disc (like we got two films on HOUSE OF WAX and GASLIGHT and others.)

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
I'm hoping this is the case - the slimline cases are much appreciated space savers.

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark

I do not say this is a rude manner..... It computes perfectly. Warners are not forcing us to buy the same films again, just to get the bonus disc. Simple as that.

ChrisRose

Stunt Coordinator
Okay, I'm kinda pissed about this because I want the extras in the ultimate boxset (pressbooks!) but I *don't* want my DVDs stored in "sleeves" instead of keepcases. So buying the reduced-price version of the ultimate box, with 5 empty slots for those of us who already bought volume 1... well, that's not an option for me. No way am I taking my first 5 Astaire/Rogers films out of their nice, secure Amarays, and putting them in sleeves, so they'll match the other 5 films! I want keepcases.

So it looks like I'll buying volume 2 to match volume 1, and then buying all the movies over again in the collector's box, so I can get the extras (I assume the documentary isn't included in the regular volume 2 box? That sucks)

Trying to look on the bright side...I wouldn't mind having doubles of these movies. As back-ups. But damn, I don't have much money to spare, so I resent the necessity. Warner *could* have just created an ultimate box that would fit our keepcases. Or, since they're repackaging and releasing multiple versions anyway... might as well please everyone - release a box that holds keepcases, another box with slimcases, another with sleeves/digipacks. Ridiculous and unnecessary? Well, so is their current plan, IMO.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member

I'm utterly confused by all of this...

Isn't the Deluxe boxset going to contain EVERYTHING with all the films assumably in matching packaging?

I don't understand what's meant by "sleeves" here.

Why not just sell your Astaire-Rogers Vol. 1 and pick up the all-inclusive definitive set when it's released to save all the trouble you just described?

I'm assuming considering the size of the set, that all of the discs will be in slimcases, including the titles from Vol. 1.

That would seem like the most logical solution to me...

DeeF

Screenwriter
Yes, this is what I think. The Warners Noir 3 is a set with slimcases, and I'm hoping that this new Astaire/Rogers Ultimate set will be all slimcases, and one could get it with empty cases for the first 5 we've already bought. I think it's a brilliant solution -- we get the ultimate set, all right, but we don't have to rebuy anything (except cases), and we'll save space in the process.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Agree with Marco and DeeF here. There's nothing to get upset about. Warners has gone out of their way to make this a win-win for everyone involved still they get complaints.

The Ultimate set includes not 1, but 4, reproduction movie posters. Incredible. Warners certainly is not resting on their laurels.

Looking forward to the pricing on the modified Ultimate collection as I already have Vol 1.

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark

Absolutely. It's not like FOX, and the MASH TV series crap they're pulling. I have purchased 7 season sets with no extra features. They are going to release the entire series in a set and this will be the only way to get the bonus features. THAT'S the kind of thing that should stir up anger.....DEFINITELY not this, though....

ChrisRose

Stunt Coordinator
Hey man, don't be telling other people what *should* or shouldn't make them angry! Now I'm REALLY angry. No, not really. :P I expected (from the overall "yay! Warner rocks!" tone of the thread before I posted) that I'd be in the minority, and people would tell me to cool it, there's no problem here, etc.

I love the job Warner's done on many DVDs, but this particular decision bugs me. I already explained why. And why are you folks assuming the ultimate box will use slimcases when the press release says "sleeves"? Wouldn't they just say "slimcases" or "thinpacks" if that's what they meant? Anyway, even if it *does* turn out to be slimcases, I prefer standard size keepcases. They're sturdier. In my experience DVDs are more likely to come loose (and get scratched) if they're in slimcases... sometimes the weight of the disc is more than the thin plastic cases can handle, I reckon. (Especially when studios try to pack 2 DVDs in *one* slimcase ...which probably won't happen here)

Anyway, I still don't see why Warner couldn't just include all these cool new extras in Volume 2 (y'know, with packaging matching Volume 1). If they really wanted to, they could duplicate everything in a slimcase version for those of you who want to conserve space. I don't think it's fair to only make the documentary and other goodies available in the ultimate edition. Why do we even *need* an ultimate edition? This is not a special anniversary years after the original DVD release. Just make the best possible Astaire/Rogers set, the *first* time. And since Volume 2's not out yet, it's not too late to add all the extras they seemingly just figured out they want to include...in *that* set. No real need for an ultimate collector's edition, IMO.

I'll buy it anyway, and like I said, part of me *does* want doubles of these movies 'cause I love 'em so much. But I have a right to complain, dagnabit.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
or they could mean empty sleeve as simply the box is half empty with a cardboard filler/spacer in the empty space. Go look at the cheap anime box sets at best buy, if it looks like a four or five disc set but is priced at $20-30, then it's only the first disc of the collection plus the box, and a cardboard spacer fills the empty part of the box. Then as you buy the rest of the releases they will fit in the box, eventually filling it.

It's a pretty standard way of releasing box sets and I wouldn't be at all surprised if that's what WB is thinking of.

of course I've no clue if the ultimate box will feature the volume two releases in regular width or slimlines, so feel free to pitch a conniption fit if the ultimate set has space for the five regular cases but the volume two releases are in slimlines, making for an unmatching set.

Ithink it's a nightmare if WB two ultimate on the shelves one that is cheaper with five empty slimline cases and five full ones, and one with the complete set. How many people are going to buy the more expensive one if it looks the same as the cheaper? there will be a lot of mistaken purchases, and virtually all of those people are going to be furious to discover they're missing five dvds when they have cases for them.

smartest for WB would be to release the box set with a cardboard spacer. and if they want to keep anal collectors happy, that ultimate should have the volume two releases in regular keepcases rather than slimlines.

Corey

Screenwriter
that's what GF said. everything will be in regular keepcases to match up with volume 1

DeeF

Screenwriter
I guess there's not much use in complaining *before the fact.* We don't know how the Ultimate Collection of Astaire/Rogers will be released, in what kind of package. I was... basing my excitement on the fact of the Warners Noir 3, which are in slimcases, the first I've seen from Warners.

At this point, I don't think I'm the only one who buys every Warner movie, and running out of room because of it. With luck, Warners understands this particular plight of their consumers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks