Assistance with calibration for Sony STR-DE93S

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Neil_R, Sep 28, 2003.

1. Neil_R

Neil_R Auditioning

Sep 27, 2003
    Hello, this is my first post.

I'm looking for assistance in calibrating my Sony STR-DE935 receiver. Specifically the following:

1.) D. Range Comp.
    2.) LFE Mix
    3.) The Bass, Mid. and Treble settings for the front, center and rear speakers. (Each have a Dbs. and frequency option).

I currently have the receiver on "Auto Format Decode". I don't know if this overtakes the above options that I mentioned.

The manual isn't too much of a help when it comes to these options.

I'm using Polk RM6700 speakers. The front speakers are approx. 17 feet in front of the listening position and they aren't toed into the center (they are facing straight). The center speaker is about 16 feet in front of the listening position (same height as the front speakers). The rear speakers are to the sides of the listening position about 7 feet to the left and right of the listening position.

All speakers are about 5.9 feet off from the floor.

Thanks in advance!
  2. NikoVarsan

NikoVarsan Auditioning

Sep 12, 2003
    I would leave the D. range comp set to off, unless using the night listening mode.If you do use it, then simply adjust it until you are happy with the sound. If you have a sub, the LFE should be set to 0. As for the other settings, I would set them all the way up. I have a STR-DE925 in my bedroom, and a STR-DE995 in my living room. This is the way I have both set up, and I have no complaints about the sound. Take you time and keep trying different settings until you find the "right" sound for you. Hope this has helped some.
  3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

Jun 24, 1999
    Sorry, but "all the way up" is not calibration, or really even an attempt at trying to get things "right".

1) leave it off

2) Regardless of how you have your speakers set up, this setting does not apply to you, since there is no way you would ever want to set your tiny satellites to large. Even if you run the mains to the sub, then to the satellites, you will not have an LFE mix, because you will not have a separate LFE option because the sub is not on the pre-out.

3) Again, this depends on how you have your speakers connected. If you have all the satellites attached to the sub, these settings do not matter. If you have run the sats directly from the receiver, you should set the x-over setting to roughly the same as what the sub is passively crossing them over at (check your manual or a Polk forum). This will likely be in the neighborhood of 100Hz, give or take. You can tweak the frequency settings to your heart's desire, though my recommendation is flat, "0".

16 and 17 feet seems quite far to be from your speakers,
    especially ones of this size. You should be able to compenste for this with an SPL meter from Radio Shack and a quick calibration of the distance and level settings.

See the basics area thread "Primer for newcomers" for a ton of info.