Assassination of Richard Nixon - Two Versions?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by David Jay, Apr 26, 2005.

1. David Jay

David Jay Stunt Coordinator

I've been interested in this film for a while, and since it had such a limited release, I had to wait for the DVD release. I just got the disc, which streets today, from NetFlix. It seems to be one of the special Rental discs, where it just has the film's title and studio on a gray background. But, that's where things get interesting.

The studio listed on the disc itself is New Line. The trailers on the disc are all from New Line Pictures. If you check DVDAnswers (Sorry, I'm a newb, no link) they list it as coming from New Line, with a Director's Commentary as the only extra. The disc I got has no extras, except for New Line trailers. It certainly doesn't contain any commentary.

However, I looked at the only review online, ATM, which is from DVDBeaver (Once again, sorry, no link) and they've got cover art with the huge MGM logo on it, and make numerous mentions of MGM in the review. They also say the disc is "Barely dual layered at 5.35 gig" while the one I have from NetFlix is 4.28 gigs, only a single-layer. If you look down in DVDBeaver's shot of the language menu, it has English and French tracks in both 5.1 and 2.0, while mine only has English in 5.1 and 2.0, no French. And, the main menu on mine has "More from New Line" as the last selection, which it's missing from the caps on DVDBeaver.

I'd have no problem with them making the rental copies single-layered by eliminating the French tracks, especially if the retail version is only 5.35 gigs (for shame). I was just curious about all of it, really. I mean, which company is putting out the disc? And how often do they change the code on the disc to make it cheaper for rental copies? Can anybody shed any light on this situation?

Thanks,
    David

2. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

David,

DvDBeaver is out of Canada. I'm assuming MGM has video rights north of the border and New Line has it in the U.S.

3. David Jay

David Jay Stunt Coordinator

Ah, didn't realize that about the 'Beaver, Mark. Thanks for pointing it out. That would explain the French tracks on the DVDBeaver copy and lack thereof on mine. I think that they would have mentioned the fact that it was the Canadian version in their review, though. And it seems like neither country gets a commentary after all. Pssh.

4. Robert Stanley

Robert Stanley Auditioning

Amazon lists the same features as the Canadian version, though I realize they could be wrong. The disc I rented from Blockbuster did not have the commentary or the additional language tracks.

5. Laurence Price

Laurence Price Stunt Coordinator

MGM is listed on the DVD keepcase as the distributor of the Assassination of Richard Nixon in Canada. There is no mention of the audio commentary with writer-director Niels Mueller anywhere on the keepcase of the MGM DVD. This commentary is supposedly a special feature that is included on the New Line distributed DVD. The MGM version was the one that was being sold at the Futureshop I went to.

6. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Supporting Actor

I had to check out the DVDBeaver review for that quote, and that is indeed what they wrote. What does that even mean? It's either dual layer, or it's not. I think they meant to write that it was just barely large enough to require a dual layer.

Just a nitpick...

Doug

7. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino

Since they're a Canandian site, presumably reviewing discs being sold in Canada to Canadians, they probably don't feel the need to point this out in each individual review. [​IMG]

Regards,

Joe

8. Rutgar

Rutgar Second Unit

I just got this title in the mail today from Amazon.com(U.S. version) and it won't play in my Pioneer Elite DV-47a. It locks up before even getting to the menu. It will play on my DVD recorder in my bedroom (Panasonic DMR E80H). Has anyone else who has bought this had any problems? Since it will play on one unit, but not the other, I don't know whether to send it back to Amazon for an exchange, or not.

9. Will_B

Will_B Producer

"The disc I got has no extras, except for New Line trailers. It certainly doesn't contain any commentary." And it's only 4.27 GB - single layer. The Canadian version at 5.35 must be the extra jibberish track (I mean French language).

Rutger, I think your problem MIGHT be because this film is one that uses an extra folder called JACKET, in addition to the AUDIO and VIDEO folders which are normal. Inside the JACKET folder is "the picture that some players use when your DVD is not in use but is in your player". Maybe that is something your player can't handle. Just a guess.

10. Rutgar

Rutgar Second Unit

Well that would explain why it would play on one DVD player, and not the other.

I guess I don't get why they would put something like that on a DVD. My DV-47a isn't that old of a unit. Although it won't play disks I record on the DVD recorder, I've never had a problem with ANY commercial DVD, until now.