Aspire DVD Recorder for 135.00 with 5.1 channel output for DVD-Audio!!!

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Jerome Grate, Mar 23, 2005.

1. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Yep, your eyes are not deceiving you, Walmart has This Aspire DVD-Recorder Just wanted to see if anyone know about the quality, I'm thinking about getting it since it's cheap and does DVD-Audio.

2. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I don't see anything on the walmart website or the manufacturer's website indicating that the player does DVD-A. It does have 5.1 analog outputs but it looks like these are only for use with dolby digital decoding.

3. Jerome Grate

Hmm, I always thought that at this point of the game, 5.1 channel output refers to DVD-Audio. It has an optical output, for Dolby Digital and I guess DTS. Still looking kind of interesting. Stephen, can you do a link to the manufactures website.

4. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

Just do a search for reviews on this machine. Yikes! I would pass on this one for sure.

5. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

By the way, to hear multi-channel DVD-Audio or SACD you need to use the 6 channel outputs from a DVD player, which that machine doesn't have, to the 6 channel inputs of the receiver. This connection usually requires six RCA audio cables. You then would select the 6 CH input option on your receiver to enable the DVD-Audio. This bypasses the internal processing of the receiver so your DVD-Audio player is now decoding the sound and sending the correct signals to the proper speaker.

6. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

Jose, the machine does indeed have the 6 channel outputs for DVD-A playback. It doesn't say it supports SACD though. Look on the back panel and there is clearly a 5.1 channel audio output.[​IMG]

7. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

Here's the link to the manufacturer's website. It says the unit has Dolby 5.1 decoding so that's what the 5.1ch analog output is for. No mention of DVD-A. I'd bet the farm that there's no DVD-A support.

8. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Yeah, 6ch output does not equal DVD-A... it can merely just be it has a built in DD and/or DTS Decoder.

9. Jerome Grate

Walmart has equipment reviews or are you talking about using google for the search.

10. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

Jerome,

I google and then go to different web sites to find reviews. Often I include the word “review” in my search. I think there were a few on Amazon and maybe audioreview or cnet; I really don't remember which. Just search around and I think you will see more thumb downs for this machine than thumbs up. I also didn’t do an extensive search, however. You could try this machine and it work just fine for you, but I wouldn’t chance it- just my two cents.

Chuck,

I'm not saying that you can't play this machine through a Dolby Digital A/V receiver to get 5.1 channel surround sound audio. You can do that, but that's not the same as dvd-a. Here's a link that I think might clarify what I mean- here They are referring to a different machine, but the info might clarify my point.

11. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

Actually, that link doesn't really help at all. Here's a Link from another forum that will help clarify that 5.1 outs on a dvd player does not equal dvd-a decoding, although a dvd-a disk will play on any dvd player and give you 5.1 surround.

12. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

Actually this is the link I meant.