What's new

Aspect ratios help (1 Viewer)

John-Miles

Screenwriter
Ok I have no idea whats causing this, but i figured i would post here to get help first.

My problem is this, when watching analog channels (4:3) and the program is a widescreen program, i want to change the aspect on my TV so that the zoom will well zoom the picture so that the bars on the sides and top and bottom are all gone, and the picture is in its correct aspect ratio. However the problem im having is this zooms too much and cuts off part of the sides and top and bottom.

additionally ive found on my HD channels that in full mode im still getitng some programs letterboxed, but not quite, they are slightly stretched, just not all the way so i still have vertical bars.

Now my set up is a Motorola dual tuner PVR Onkyo TX-NR905 amp with everything running through it, and a sony KDS 55A2000 SXRD tv.

can anyone help me figure out what the problem is here?

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter

You mean "pillarboxed", with bars on the sides? Some stations for their 4:3 programming do this bastard 14:9 stretch where they stretch it some but not all the way. All you can do is write a letter to station management complaining about this, ask them to send standard 4:3 with the wide vertical bars so you can watch undistorted, or zoom it yourself if you want. These non-std stretch modes applied by the broadcaster that can't be undone giving the consumer no choice in the matter are an abomination in my opinion.

John-Miles

Screenwriter
well i found the problem, with my amp set to upconvert everything to 1080p it messed with the settings so the zoom would not work, when i set it to throughput everything went back to working.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
linda19798888
Recent bookmarks