Aspect Ratios and Anamorphic DVDs

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Larry_H, Aug 3, 2004.

1. Larry_H

Larry_H Auditioning

In my theater, I'm using a Barco 808 Graphics with a Faroudja 1000 signal processor. I have an old, but reliable, Tosh 9100 DVD Player. Component outputs from the Tosh to the Faroudja.

Here's my question. The Tosh, in the setup menu allows for 4x3 and 16x9. The Faroudja will allow me to select 4x3 or Anamorphic.

I seem to get identical results if:

a) I set the Tosh to 4x3 and the Faroudja to 4x3

or

b) I set the Tosh to 16x9 and the Faroudja to Anamorphic.

Initially, I would've suspected I wasn't getting the results of "anamorphic" from the "a" settings but it appears that both combinations yield the same results.

Just wondering if someone can explain this to me, slowly, with small words and perhaps crayons.

Thanks,

Larry

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Both settings yield the same aspect ratio. However, the "a" settings will give you app. 25% less resolution than the "b" settings, assuming the DVD has been enhanced for 16:9 display, which most widescreen DVDs are. With the "a" settings, the player is downconverting the image for standard 4:3 display by throwing out a quarter of the resolution recorded on the disc.

Because you're using the Faroudja, you might not be seeing an enormous difference. But if you compare scenes with a lot of background detail on the "a" settings vs. the "b" settings, the "b" version will be less well-defined.

M.

3. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    Hi guys,

Michael, thanks for answering.

It is of interest to note that Larry's Barco is set up for 4x3 viewing.

Regards

Gregg