What's new

Aspect Ratios and Anamorphic DVDs (1 Viewer)

Larry_H

Auditioning
In my theater, I'm using a Barco 808 Graphics with a Faroudja 1000 signal processor. I have an old, but reliable, Tosh 9100 DVD Player. Component outputs from the Tosh to the Faroudja.

Here's my question. The Tosh, in the setup menu allows for 4x3 and 16x9. The Faroudja will allow me to select 4x3 or Anamorphic.

I seem to get identical results if:

a) I set the Tosh to 4x3 and the Faroudja to 4x3

or

b) I set the Tosh to 16x9 and the Faroudja to Anamorphic.

Initially, I would've suspected I wasn't getting the results of "anamorphic" from the "a" settings but it appears that both combinations yield the same results.

Just wondering if someone can explain this to me, slowly, with small words and perhaps crayons.

Thanks,

Larry

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Both settings yield the same aspect ratio. However, the "a" settings will give you app. 25% less resolution than the "b" settings, assuming the DVD has been enhanced for 16:9 display, which most widescreen DVDs are. With the "a" settings, the player is downconverting the image for standard 4:3 display by throwing out a quarter of the resolution recorded on the disc.

Because you're using the Faroudja, you might not be seeing an enormous difference. But if you compare scenes with a lot of background detail on the "a" settings vs. the "b" settings, the "b" version will be less well-defined.

M.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Hi guys,

Michael, thanks for answering.

It is of interest to note that Larry's Barco is set up for 4x3 viewing.

Regards

Gregg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks