aspect ration confusion with my screen

Discussion in 'Displays' started by John Menoni, Feb 15, 2005.

1. John Menoni

John Menoni Stunt Coordinator

I am purchasing a screen that is 178:1. I am noticing that most of my DVDs are 235:1. What is projected on the rest of the screen? Is it black bars like watching a widescreen movie on a 4:3 T.V. or is it just blank canvas? DO I have to reset the lens on the projector every time I put a DVD in with a new aspect ration or does the projector automatically project the image onto the screen in the new format? I am going to be using a Benq 8700. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

[​IMG]

2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Use the ana mode ... and yes you get bars ... as 2.35 not = to 1.78 ... and never will be.

bars are just thinner than on a 4:3 set.

As long as the DVD player is set up right ... leave the 8700 at anamorphic ... unless you watch 4:3 material ... then use letterbox or 4:3 modes.

Do not use thru and wide.

Regards

3. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Leaving the projector and lens the same way, all anamorphic wide screen movies will project on the screen with a constant width which should be set up to be the width of the screen.

You really need only a second projector setting for 4:3 material and a third projector setting (zoom) for non-anamorphic material of aspect ratio 1.78:1 or greater.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

4. John Menoni

John Menoni Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the advise guys. I guess I can live with black bars on the screen. I have to live with my 35' 4:3 T.V. I'm sure I can live with black bars on a 96' screen.[​IMG] I don't know a great amount about projectors. I guess I will just have to read the manual and play around with it to get it to work at the best level.

Thanks again![​IMG]