Aspect Ratio

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Raistlin Lee, Nov 16, 2002.

1. Raistlin Lee

Raistlin Lee Auditioning

Hi,

I am new to home theatre, could someone advise me the best way to manage the different format in DVDs movie (without the black bars) for maximum viewing pleasure.

Thanks,
    Raistlin

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Raistlin, I'll start by giving you a heads up. Many (most) of the members here are pro original aspect ratio which means that when watching a widescreen movie on an almost square-shaped TV, you will get the black bars. You can of course stretch, crop (slash), zoom and other methods to eliminate the black bars but the end result if you are missing out on some of the picture....
    http://www.ryanwright.com/ht/oar.shtml
    http://webhome.idirect.com/~orange1/oar/index.html

3. Clint B

Clint B Second Unit

Both of the links are to very good educational sites. As far as minimizing the "black bars" (which are actually part of the signal on some DVD's), the best way to do that is to get a widescreen TV. However , they will only be eliminated on films with aspect ratios of 1.85:1 and narrower. There are some exceptions to that rule, but I could go on and on about them. Feel free to browse the immense amount of postings on HTF for more information.
    PS: As I've seen in the signature of one of the HTF members, "Widescreen is Fullscreen!" OAR all the way (and I've only got a 27" 4:3 set)!

4. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

5. Raistlin Lee

Raistlin Lee Auditioning

Thanks for the advise. Now I understand why "Widescreen is Fullscreen"

Cheers