aspect ratio

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by gerald jones, Feb 19, 2003.

1. gerald jones

gerald jones Auditioning

I have been buying dvd's with 1.85.1 aspect ratio, to avoid the black bars.I learned that on this forum,i just bought good will hunting [aspect ratio 1.85.1] this has the black bars . What's up?

Thanks, Chef Jerry

2. Matthew Todd

Matthew Todd Second Unit

Hi Gerald. Are you watching on a 4:3 TV or a widescreen 16:9 TV?

A 4:3 TV has an aspect ratio of 1.33 while a widescreen TV has an aspect ratio of 1.78.

Because 1.78 is so close to 1.85 and because of typical overscan, a 1.85 aspect ratio film will essentially fill a 16:9 TV.

When watching a 1.85 aspect ratio movie on a 4:3 TV, there will still be black bars above and below the picture.

Matt

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

So you plan on avoiding films with a wider aspect ratio than 1.85:1 simply to "avoid black bars"? Consider this alternative plan: Watch the film and not the letterboxing bars. (And remember: TVs come in two aspect ratios while films come in several.)

4. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

From one of your other threads, I know that you just bought a Toshiba widescreen TV. You're probably watching Good Will Hunting in "full" mode, but since the disc isn't anamorphic, that's the wrong mode and it's distorting the picture. You'll want one of the widescreen modes instead, which will expand the non-anamorphic picture to fill the screen.

If you're not sure what anamorphic means, check the beginner's FAQ (link below).