Aspect Ratio Settings On STB's

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Greg L, Dec 14, 2003.

1. Greg L

Greg L Extra

I am about to take delivery of a Toshiba 51HX83 and I'm doing all my homework so as soon as it arrives I can get it up and running as fast as possible and in the best manner possible.

In doing my research I've come across something I need help from the fine members of this forum with. Both of my STB's has settings for aspect rations (4:3 and 16:9) - my question is - should I set these to 16:9 when I run one on the 51HX83 or should I just leave it at 4:?

One of the reasons I bought Toshiba was that I liked their stretch modes (a friend has a 57H83 and I've played with it) and as such I don't want to set the STB to 16:9 if the box itself will try an stretch the picture. At the same time, I don't want to leave it at 4:3 if it means not optimizing the picture on the 51HX83. I've tried the manuals for the STB's with no luck - it just says to chose the correct setting for your appliction with no explanation as to why or what this setting will do.

Thanks in advance for all your help folks. Season's Greetings!!!!!

2. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

Behavior can vary between different STBs and on what type of channel you are watching. You'll simply have to experiment, and may want to change it depending on what you are watching and whether you are recording it. On standard 4:3 channels often the setting will have no effect. For 16:9 HD channels showing a true HD program, you'd likely want to use 16:9, but again on some boxes using component out this has no effect on the HD channels. For HD channels showing upconverted content, 4:3 in a 16:9 window with embedded black side bars, often using one of the 4:3 modes ("crop" or "P&S") will allow you to chop off the side bars & use your set's normal stretch modes.