Aspect ratio questions for new Buffy R2 "collections"....

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Dave Mack, Jan 21, 2004.

1. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

Hey Y'all...

Came across the info. on Amazon UK that these discs, (Best of Faith, Willow, Spike, Angel...) are going to be WS, 16x9.... Now, most of these eps. are from season 1-3..! Will they be new transfers? I mean, Buffy didn't go WS on DVD prior to S4, so is this a mistake? And if they indeed have remastered the eps. from S1-S3 in WS, how did they do it? Like S4 on, revealing more info on the sides than the 4x3 R1 discs or are they gonna be tilt and scanned..?? And does this mean that eventually they will re-do the whole seasons on WS? It also shows a S3 boxset that is being released in June 2004..!?!?!?

What gives? Anybody know?

2. Moe*A

Moe*A Stunt Coordinator

All the Buffy sets are being re-released in June in new packaging (amary cases I believe) in the UK.

3. James Reader

James Reader Screenwriter

I believe the collections are listed as widescreen because at least one episode on each collection is widescreen?

I would expect the season 1-3 episdoes to be full screen. I can't see Fox making new masters for the collections.

4. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

Hey James, That's what I originally thought as well, but the "Best of Angel" disc is listed as widescreen, and all the eps. on that are from S1-S3...

If they did remaster them, they might as well re-release S3, as so many eps. on these new discs are from S3 and it was the 1st season to be shot on 35mm.

Interesting...

D

5. Markus Berger

Markus Berger Auditioning

The Buffy Season box sets in Europe from season 3 on are in 16x9. Seasons 1+2 are in 4x3.

But if you compare the pictures you can exactly see that the director placed all the action in the 4x3 area.

I have seen screenshots from both (R1 and R2) and in all scenes the parts of the picture you can see more in the R2 versions is empty or shows no relevant informations.

The picture quality of the R1 boxes is better too. The PAL converted picture looks terrible if you compare it to the R1 box sets, the data rate they used for encoding is also lower and some episodes in Europe cut !!!

Be happy with your R1 box sets, they are first choise.

6. James Reader

Sorry, I still cannot see Fox remastering the episdoes. After the collections are nothing more than cheap "introductions" to the series for casual purchases/watchers.

As for the Angel disc, I suppose one press release was issued for all the discs being released. Perhaps only one "overall" aspect ratio was mentioned in the PR.

7. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

Markus, what episodes are cut?

8. James Reader

I don't think that they were cut anywhere in Europe apart from the UK, due to BBFC conditions.

Band Candy has Giles hotwiring a car cut, and Dead Man's Party has a neck snapping deleted. I think that's it.

9. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

Thanks. Good thing I got the Benolux versions.

10. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

Oy, Markus, S3 in England is 4x3, NOT 16x9...
    "...In it's Region 2 and Region 4 releases, Season 4 is the first season of Buffy to be presented on disc in 1.78:1 widescreen with anamorphic enhancement..."

And I own Buffy sets 1-3 on R1 and they look pretty bad. The R2 sets I own, S4-S6, SMOKE them PQ-wise. And the R1 sets are encoded improperly, they are flagged for FILM, and the eps. were edited on VIDEO, causing MAJOR problems such as "combing" for people with Flag-reading Progressive scan DVD players. There are NUMEROUS threads re: this.
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...=&pagenumber=1

Anyways, My JVC player does FLAWLESS PAL-NTSC conversion and my S6 set in my opinion looks as good as anything else I have on DVD.

So, once again, my question...

Unless Amazon UK has incorrect info. how are these gonna be in WS?

[​IMG] D

11. Markus Berger

Markus Berger Auditioning

Hi,

Sorry, was my mistake. The R2 season box sets are from season 4 on in 16x9.

The German box sets are uncut except Season 6 - there is one cut of a few seconds in the first episode of season 6 when buffy kills an animal.

In UK there are cuts in seasons 3 and 6.

I don't know if the box sets in other european countries are uncut, but I think they aren't.

Most DVD's from Fox are the same in whole Europe, except the UK version needs extra cuts required by the BBFC.

So season 6 seems to be cut in the whole R2 region.

Only Germany, France, Italy and Spain has dubbed DVD's in Europe - all other countries get the DVD's only with english sound and subtitless in their language.

I do not have all season box sets, but all people from German DVD Forums that have bought R1 box sets reported that the quality of the R1 discs is a little bit better as the R2 discs. The R1 discs are a little bit sharper and the picture is more clear, that's the statements I have seen in all German DVD Forums.

12. James Reader

I believe the cut in season 6 (Willow and the Deer) is how the show was presented on American TV.

13. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

Hey again, Markus

The R2 season 1-3 sets I heard DID look bad. As they were just NTSC-PAL converted. From S4 on, they did a special kind of conversion, forget the technique, had numbers in it... but they look better. Plus, I prefer Buffy in WS, and the "previously on's" are vital IMHO, and are NOT on the R1 sets.

[​IMG] D

14. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

I'm assuming that it's probably a marketing flub.

So where's the best place for a U.S. buyer to pick up all of the "best of" discs? I was planning on either Blackstar or Bensonsworld, but does any retailer stand above the rest in terms of shipping for a bunch of single discs?

-Dave

15. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

Hey Dave,

I ordered my S4 and S5 sets from CDwow.com and they were great. good price, free shipping, came fast. I would reccomend them.

And in the "previously on's..." from the R2 S4 set, the flashbacks from S3 ARE in 16x9 WS! So, they shot S3 with future WS in mind. HDTV..?? Would be interesting to get S3 in WS. Although it is heresy in certain circles, I prefer Buffy in WS. NOT S1 or S2, but once they switched to 35mm for S3 on....

[​IMG] D

16. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

Hey Dave,

I ordered my S4 and S5 sets from CDwow.com and they were great. good price, free shipping, came fast. I would reccomend them.

And in the "previously on's..." from the R2 S4 set, the flashbacks from S3 ARE in 16x9 WS! So, they shot S3 with future WS in mind. HDTV..?? Would be interesting to get S3 in WS. Although it is heresy in certain circles, I prefer Buffy in WS. NOT S1 or S2, but once they switched to 35mm for S3 on....

[​IMG] D

17. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

DVDTimes has verified that the discs present a mixture of aspect ratios. The episodes are from the same masters as the previous r2 releases.

-Dave

18. ScottNJ

ScottNJ Auditioning

I noticed that the the Buffy season sets with the new packaging are up for pre-order at Amazon.uk. The prices for these are much lower than the current sets. Are these the exactly the same sets content wise?? Still widescreen??

19. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

It's just the preorder price. It's pretty in-line with previous prices. I pre-ordered season 6 last year for 49.35 GBP, and my preorder for season 7 came to 46.80 GBP. (Although Amazon raised the preorder price by 5 gbp since I preordered in Feb.)

-Dave