aspect ratio is it my dvd player? HELP!

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by MikeGorby, Jul 10, 2003.

1. MikeGorby

MikeGorby Auditioning

Ok here is what I have:

-New samsung dvd player progressive scan bought from best buy 6 months ago

-New RCA 27" tv with 3-line comb filter

I have the dvd player hooked up component video to the tv. The problem is whenever i watch widescreen movies the movies always appear streched. I cannot get the black bars on the top and bottom, all i get is a streched picture. I have done absolutley everything in the menu but it will not change the aspect ratio. By changing dvd players will i get to view widescreen dvd's with the bars instead of getting a strecthed picture, it looks horrible everyone is so out of proportion. thanks for the help.

2. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

You have to change the TV aspect ratio setting on your DVD player. Somewhere in your setup menu (usually not available when a disk is in the drive) is a "display" option or something similar. Select the correct aspect ration of your TV (sounds like you have a 4:3 standard screen) and you will see widescreen films correctly.

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Although you say you've tried "everything" in the player's menu, it sounds like your DVD player is set for a 16:9 TV whereas yours is 4:3 (I can't be sure, because you haven't listed the model number, but at that size, it's probably 4:3).

You need to go back into your DVD player's setup menu (that's the player's menu, not a disc menu), and find the option that selects between "16:9" screens and "4:3 letterbox" (or some similar phrasing). Choose the 4:3 option.

If you've already done this and the problem still exists, then we'll need more information: model numbers for the TV and player, title(s) of the disc(s) you're trying, and more description of the "stretching" you're seeing (e.g., are the people tall and thin, or short and fat?).

M.

4. Dmitry

Dmitry Supporting Actor

Just to re-iterate, make sure you go through all the menus when there's no disc in the player.

5. MikeGorby

MikeGorby Auditioning

ok im going to do that tonight, thanks so much for the help! much appreciated!