Aspect Ratio for HD-HBO and HDSHW

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MarshawnM, Aug 10, 2001.

1. MarshawnM

MarshawnM Stunt Coordinator

Forum,
    I'm looking to buy an HD Direct TV box and one thing occurred to me. Does Direct TV broadcast HD programming in a "standard" aspect ratio or do they leave the content as is from HBO and SHOWTIME? If Direct TV does send the programming out in a "standard" aspect ratio, what is it, 1.85:1 or 2.35:1? I'm new so if I misstated something, please let me know.
    -Marshawn

2. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

First, direct tv does not carry showtime HD at this time...
    It is the program provider not direct or dish network that decides on the aspect ratio...With Showtime HD, they usually show films in the original aspect ratio..HBO hd usually crops their HD films to 1.78 or 16.9 which is the HD standard...Every once in a while HBO hd show the film in orginal aspect ratio..Why the don't leave them all OAR, I don't have a clue...
    ------------------
    [Edited last by Mike I on August 10, 2001 at 12:01 PM]

3. MarshawnM

MarshawnM Stunt Coordinator

Mike,
    Thanks for clearing that up for me and for correcting me. Since you seem very informed on the HD topic, can you answer this, on Direct TV what channels are available for HD? I hear that the Discovery channel was due by the end of the year, but this was a salesman talking, and I don't trust what they have to say. Also, who carries Showtime HD Dish Network? Thanks.
    Marshawn

4. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

Direct TV currently carries HBO HD and a part time HD PPV channel from midnight to 6 am.. During the day it is a demo channel..
    Dish network currently has HBO HD, Showtime HD, a full time PPV channel and a demo channel...On 8/17 the will start carrying the CBS HD east and west coast feeds, but again whether or not your eligible to receive them depends on the area you live in...
    The discovery HD channel has been rumored for well over a year now with a start up of late last year..So far nothing so I would not count on late this year ..Until there is an official announcement from discovery channel, any dates we hear are just speculation...
    ------------------
    [Edited last by Mike I on August 10, 2001 at 12:31 PM]

5. Eram Syed

Eram Syed Extra

I emailed Discovery and they said they have no plans for HDTV.
    ------------------
    Eram
    ---------------------
    TV=Sony 53HS10, DVD=Sony DVP-550D, CD=Sony CDP-C335, DSS=Dish 6000 + 8VSB, PVR 501, Dish 301, Receiver=Marantz SR5000, Speakers=JBL M28, JBL PSW-D110, VCR=Panasonic PV-V4620