What's new

Aspect Ratio Documentation (2 Viewers)

Mark Pytel

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Pytel
Hi Bob quick question. The purple Plain came out in 1954..which for me is a tough year to determine if it is widescreen or full frame. I'm thinking Purple Plain OAR is widescreen. Can you confirm what the OAR of Purple Plain is?

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
In March 1954, Rank is on record with 1.65 or 1.66 as their house ratio but this began filming in early January. I don't have documentation on precisely when they changed to widescreen production.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Here's a new page on our website with posters, stills, lobbycards and some anaglyphic images from our new widescreen restoration of THE MASK: http://www.3dfilmarc...com/the-mask-1

Red/left, Blue/right
28m06s_ana.gif

Mark Pytel

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Pytel
Hi Bob,

what is the OAR for 99 River Street (1953) Since it was filmed in 1953 would it be 1:33. or one of the really early widescreen films?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Mark Pytel said:
Hi Bob,

what is the OAR for 99 River Street (1953) Since it was filmed in 1953 would it be 1:33. or one of the really early widescreen films?
I'm guessing that since it wasn't produced by a large studio with United Artists just distributing it, it was probably filmed in 1.37 during March, 1953.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Bob Furmanek said:
To commemorate the 75th anniversary of Fantasound, I'd like to share my new article on the first year of stereophonic motion pictures. I hope that you enjoy it!

http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/the-first-year-of-stereophonic-sound

Great, and thoroughly-researched article Bob! I had no idea there were so many non-scope films that originally had stereophonic soundtracks. I guess the reason this information is so scarce is because most of those recordings have been lost, I've always assumed the films like Mogambo and Julius Caesar were mono since that's the only way they have ever been available in various video formats.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Bob Furmanek said:
Thanks, Mark. I had thought the MGM's were some of the few that survive. Maybe not?

Just checked the DVDs. Mogambo is mono but Julius Caesar is indeed 5.1 (bad memory on my part) so I guess the original stereophonic tracks did survive for that one.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Hmm, the original was 3 channel only. That's probably a new re-mix from stems. The current stereo track on SHANE is also a new mix.

So far as I know, the surviving original tracks are THIS IS CINERAMA, THUNDER BAY, IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE and THE ROBE. That's 4 out of 31!

Any others in stereo on tape or DVD/Blu-ray, such as YOUNG BESS, TAKE THE HIGH GROUND, BLOWING WILD or ISLAND IN THE SKY?

I also could not find concrete documentation on EAST OF SUMATRA. It's listed as stereo in studio files and trade journals but I cannot find any confirmed bookings.

There's a lot of wrong information out there and this research is based on studio documents and trade journals.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I had to laugh - just watched a screener of Jurassic World and noticed the ratio was 2.00. So, I Googled and read a rather amusing article where the cinematographer is bragging that he invented a new aspect ratio. Really? I seem to recall Universal had that aspect ratio long before Jurassic World, like maybe, I don't know, close to sixty years before.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
haineshisway said:
I had to laugh - just watched a screener of Jurassic World and noticed the ratio was 2.00. So, I Googled and read a rather amusing article where the cinematographer is bragging that he invented a new aspect ratio. Really? I seem to recall Universal had that aspect ratio long before Jurassic World, like maybe, I don't know, close to sixty years before.

Superscope was 2.00.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
The first title composed for that ratio was Lippert's SINS OF JEZEBEL which began filming on May 13, 1953.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks