What's new

Aspect Ratio Documentation (3 Viewers)

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Gary16 said:
Those glasses are what came with the dvd.
Cool! I just bought the DVD on eBay - comes with the glasses. I just contacted a few of the sellers and one of them came with the glasses.

Gary Couzens

Stunt Coordinator
Matt Hough said:
I was flipping around the dial yesterday and stumbled on Paul Newman in The Left Handed Gun. TCM was showing it in an open matte 4:3 presentation, and it's a 1958 film!
I reviewed the Region 1 DVD in 2006: that is in a ratio of 1.78:1, presumably opened up slightly from an intended 1.85:1.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Gary Couzens said:
I reviewed the Region 1 DVD in 2006: that is in a ratio of 1.78:1, presumably opened up slightly from an intended 1.85:1.
Yes. I've got it on my shelf, too, and though I haven't watched it for quite some time, I was pretty sure it was an anamorphic widescreen transfer.

Gary Couzens

Stunt Coordinator
Stage Struck (1958), Sidney Lumet's second feature, is on BBC2 next Saturday morning. The IMDB gives the ratio as 1.37:1 and also has this in its trivia section for this film: "One of the last films made by RKO, and one of the few theatrical films made after the coming of widescreen to be shot in the old "Academy ratio" (1.37: 1)." Is this correct, or is this - I suspect - nonsense?

I'll be very surprised if the BBC show it in anything other than 4:3 though.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
STAGE STRUCK began filming on January 21, 1957 in New York.
Stage Struck.jpg

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Interesting. That clipping shows Teacher's Pet with a ratio of 2:1 (the max for VistaVision) even though we know the recommended ratio for VV is 1.85:1.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Well this stinks - I ordered 13 Ghosts expecting it to not have the viewer, but didn't realize the reissue version dropped the Illusion-O version of the film entirely, having just the regular B&W video. Only spent $5, but still. Live and learn, I guess.

EDIT: Fortunately, I've been able to track down a copy of the William Castle box I can borrow that does have the Illusion-O version. Hooray for small victories!

Gary Couzens

Stunt Coordinator
Bob Furmanek said:
STAGE STRUCK began filming on January 21, 1957 in New York.
attachicon.gif
Stage Struck.jpg
Thanks, Bob. I feel an IMDB correction coming on, when I have a moment. And I couldn't help but notice another vexed aspect ratio case immediately above Stage Struck, namely Touch of Evil. *ducks*

I wonder if someone thought that because Lumet had a long history in television, he naturally composed for Academy Ratio. (He never shot a film in Scope as far as I'm aware.)

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
I saw KISS ME KATE in 3-D at the Film Forum in New York in the early '90s and it was, for me, the best use of 3-D of any film in that original 3-D wave of 1953-54. (I took my daughter, who was a child then, and she loved it, too.)

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Bob Furmanek said:
KISS ME KATE will be released in 3-D, 1.75:1 widescreen and three-channel stereophonic sound by Warner Bros. on 3-D Blu-ray in 2015!
. . . . and I will buy it!

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
I'll buy it too if they include a 2-D version as well .. I might convert to 3-D someday, but I'll have to wait till my present projector gives up the ghost!
This is a film I've loved for years and I do hope it gets cinema release in its restored form.
What a great double-bill it would make with Dial-M !

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks