What's new

Aspect Ratio Documentation (1 Viewer)

moviebuff75

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Scott Richard
Thanks. The Blu-ray has some tight shots at the top of the frame. When Grandpa Joe is commenting after the Salts go down the shoot, the frame is at his eyebrows. I just feared that too much was cropped off of the top, and not enough at the bottom for the entire film.

DVDvision

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
But w/o perfs, and not knowing precisely what the element is, all is guesswork.

Absolutely. Not even sure the bigger grab is full (it looks cropped at the bottom). What certain is that it shows the Criterion disc is zoomed. I checked yesterday the presumably "remastered in HD" DVD of Bob Le Flambeur and sadly it is the same master as the Criterion disc so we can't know more. (They just repackaged it and put "remastered in HD" on the box probably by mistake because they do it on all their vintage releases).

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
For the first time in sixty years, THOSE REDHEADS FROM SEATTLE will be shown in 3-D and widescreen!

This very special screening will take place on Sunday, September 15 at the 3-D Expo in Hollywood.

REDHEADS was the first non-anamorphic widescreen film to begin production in Hollywood during the breakthrough year of 1953. Composed for 1.66:1, filming began on March 16, 1953, only twenty days after THE ROBE went before the cameras at Fox.

Those-Redheads2web.jpg

Released on September 23, 1953, it has not been seen anywhere in widescreen since the original theatrical release.

For more information: http://3-dfilmexpo.com/filmguide/films/those-redheads-from-seattle

Here's the original widescreen trailer:

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Great post, Bob! Away from my home in LA during the fest, so will regrettably miss it, but sending you all my best wishes. Also, thanks again for setting an example in this thread, one of the only ones where most of the so called experts are not rude, cranky, obnoxious, condescending know it alls! ;)

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
And...word is that British BRIDES OF DRACULA bd has been released at 2.00:1. Universal screwed 'em.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Wowwee! "Those Redheads From Seattle" in 3D and Widescreen.
You lucky Devils.
What an experience that will be.

Poor old us here in OZ had to put up with only a 2D release back in March 1954, but it was run in Widescreen at least.

redheads2.jpg

redheads1.jpg

And only a supporting feature, I can't believe it.
I did see it back then, funny but after all these years I can still visualise Redheads but I have absolutely no recollection of Cease Fire.

If you can get to the 3D- Expo run don't walk.
I'd go myself, except for the long trek home after the show.

Doug.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
I wish you could make it, Doug. It would be a pleasure to meet you!

Thanks for those terrific clippings. I've never seen them before and they're very much appreciated.

Paramount was the first studio to make 3-D titles available in standard flat versions for first-run engagements. Universal-International was the next.

By that point in 1953, 3-D movies were in their first big decline. They bounced back by the end of the year but by the spring of 1954, 3-D was dead.

The brief craze had lasted little more than a year.

Paramount-2-D.jpg

Paramount-2-D-only-10.17.jpg

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
Here's caps from THE BRIDES OF DRACULA Blu-ray (via the SFX review) VS caps from the Universal dvd (courtesy of me):
[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Times;font-size:medium;]
mk5b.jpg
[/color]
[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Times;font-size:medium;]
4lvi.png
[/color]
0zq0.jpg

xqmz.png

ns9f.jpg

l0kk.png

ju79.jpg

60fm.png

I'm still rather curious where Universal got the idea 2.00:1 is correct for this. I'd like to know if they have information in their own archives or if a technician went all goofy on them after a bender. I'm appreciative that it was done from the bottom only and that they didn't take any off of the top (cutting off heads in the process), but still... I don't get it.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Universal did a big run of films at 2.0 in the 50s, Magnificent Obsession is another.the 2.0 crop looks more correct for framing than the more opened up version you show.

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
Bob posted a scan a little while ago that it appears to have been meant for 1.85 in the US, which likely means 1.75 in the UK (maybe 1.66). 2.00 seems incorrect though -- unless Universal (and Final Cut) has documentation of 2.00 being its intended US OAR. Filming began January 16th, 1960, so it seems rather late for the run of 2.00:1, no?

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nick

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The 2.0:1 aspect ratio on The Brides Of Dracula does seem to work well in those caps provided but then there is the documentation saying 1.85:1, i too would like to see some full 1920x1080 caps, hopefully cap-a-holics will post some, if anyone wishes to send me their copy i can do some good ones. ( it's worth a try )

What camera system did they use to shoot this film.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Bob Furmanek said:
As I mentioned in my earlier post, UI had pretty much abandoned 2.1 as a widescreen ratio by 1960.
Yes but isn't this a Hammer production, that's why i am asking about the camera system used to shoot the film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks