What's new

Aspect Ratio Documentation (3 Viewers)

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
What perturbs me is that reframing Shane on a shot by shot basis means that what we're going to get on BD is a version that we've never seen and that neither the director, nor cinematographer intended to be seen.

What we should be getting is the film framed as Loyal Griggs shot it, and also the film as released, the one that won an Oscar for cinematography and which paved the way for the widescreen revolution. In an ideal world...

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I watched the Warner Archive release of While the City Sleeps today, one of my favourite Fritz Lang films, and the presentation was widescreen (1.78:1 I think). I also have the UK release which is 1.33:1 which looks much better. The Warner print looks very 'tight' in some scenes. The region 2 release has some good special features (galleries, press book etc) and I recommend it. This is one I would like on Blu-ray but I am not very optimistic.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
This was shot in June/July 1955 and was certainly composed for widescreen. I just watched a clip on the TCM site and there's no question as to the intended widescreen composition.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
This would have been in the dying days of RKO and I guess not all of the films they distributed around this time would have SuperScope in the titles.

As you say much care has been taken with framing but I prefer the 1.33:1 on balance, just a personal preference because until I watched the Warner Archive DVD this is how I had always seen the film. Thanks again.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
You're very welcome, Keith.

According to the Hollywood Reporter, the Superscope conversion was announced on April 12, 1956 and was only applied to foreign distribution of the film.

Here's a poster from Belgium:

While-the-City-Sleeps-Super.gif

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Production began on June 3, 1955 at California Studios under the title "News is Made at Night."

It was originally produced for United Artists distribution but was sold to RKO on November 18, 1955.

Bert.JPG

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
John Hodson said:
What perturbs me is that reframing Shane on a shot by shot basis means that what we're going to get on BD is a version that we've never seen and that neither the director, nor cinematographer intended to be seen. What we should be getting is the film framed as Loyal Griggs shot it, and also the film as released, the one that won an Oscar for cinematography and which paved the way for the widescreen revolution. In an ideal world...
One more question is the aspect ratio seen by Academy members in 1953. It may well have been 1.66 C.RAH

Yorkshire

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Bob Furmanek said:
Perhaps it was shown in different ratios, but Lang's composition is for widescreen.

Camera movement in the opening shot of John Drew Barrymore in the apartment hallway shows great care to keep his head at the top of the frame in widescreen. http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/355672/While-The-City-Sleeps-Movie-Clip-New-York-City-Tonight.html
Any yet check out the top of the two doors 50 seconds in - very, very typical Lang framing of a frame within a frame within a frame, which is completely lost once cropped.

Also, the establishing shot 5 seconds in - crop it centrally you lose half the car, which is very carefully kept fully in frame at the bottom, and half the windows and doors kept carefully in frame at the top.

Other shots, I agree, have lots of head room.

Steve W

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
JAIL BAIT was shot in July 1953 but is 1.37. Wood's first widescreen film is BRIDE OF THE MONSTER which began filming late October, 1954.

I’ve just finished doing some research in Variety and have some interesting notes to share.

UPDATE: After posting the information here, I've decided to write an article that will be expanded with images and posted on our website.

I'll let you know when it's on-line.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Bob Furmanek said:
Stevens also said he was in complete disagreement with statements that elimination of close-ups in CinemaScope filming would be beneficial, and a cost-saving factor to boot. “It’s ridiculous to think that, with a big screen, you won’t edit and dramatize,” he said. “I am sure that CinemaScope will not result in a series of static shots. If they leave out cuts, the motion pictures’ great heritage will be transferred to TV.”
large-good-bad-ugly-small.jpg

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Bob Furmanek said:
/15/53: Review excerpt: For the record, “Shane” was previewed in a process stage on Paramount’s experimental wide-screen, to an audience perched on makeshift seating. Despite these abnormal viewing conditions, the picture’s worth was not lessened, and the widescreen projection did contribute, in some measure, to a sense of bigness, although, again for the record, “Shane” would be a “big” picture on any size screen. Theaters equipped for widescreen showings should find the extra ballyhoo angle of this gimmick adding to the dollars taken in at the boxoffice.
Plus ca change...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks