What's new

Aspect ratio control (1 Viewer)

Michael Buck

Auditioning
Hi, all! I am in the process of slowly moving myself into hi-def world. My first step was adding a PlayStation 3 to my set-up, and I am currently enjoying its 1080i output (more about my move to 1080p in another topic sometime...)

However, there is one (lack of) feature on the PlayStation 3 that I just can't believe isn't there, and I am imagining I must have misconfigured it.

With my 2002-era Panasonic DVD-RP91 player, I don't have to change the TV configuration, no matter whether the material on a specific DVD disc is anamorphic or not. The DVD player is smart enough to put up vertical bars on the left and right of the screen when it displays 4x3 material.

However, my new PlayStation 3 does not do this. It just displays everything in 'full' mode, whether that is appropriate or not. So, when watching special features, or other material formatted in the older 4x3 ratio, I have to tell the PS3 that I only have 480i capability, and set my TV to standard mode.

This is quite a nuisance, particularly because many special features are not described as being in 4x3, and you only figure it out once you start to watch it, and all the people are stretched side-to-side.

Have I configured my PS3 incorrectly, or is this just no longer a feature that disc players are made with? How do you folks deal with this problem?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It's not a player problem, it's just reaction of all TV's to an HD source. Most, maybe all, TV's expect an HD source when they detect an HD signal. That's why they don't have any aspect ratio control. How to you fix it? The same way you are doing.

-Robert

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
This is a setting in the PS3, you can choose stretched or normal. Simply go into setup and choose BD/DVD Settings -> DVD Upscaler ->Normal.

Michael Buck

Auditioning

Thanks for the pointer. It turns out that this doesn't work for me, and I assume it is because I am using component cabling. (My current display does not have an HDMI connector.) When you change the "DVD Upscaler" to anything other than "off", while connected via component cables, the PS3 alerts you that no upscaling is done over component connections.

But still, this raises a question. Even on Blu-Ray discs, some of the extra features are formatted in 4x3, and they are currently displaying 'stretched' onto my 16x9 display. I would not think that the 'DVD Upscaler' function would apply to extra features on an actual Blu-Ray disc.

I must still be missing something. Just by way of comparison, my Directv receiver understands how to put up 4x3 channels in their correct aspect ratio, with black vertical bars on each side. Surely, the PS3 has to have these same smarts, no?

Anyone else dealing with a similar situation?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newyork333
Recent bookmarks