Aspect Ratio Control?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by AngeloNA, Feb 2, 2004.

1. AngeloNA

AngeloNA Agent

First off, what is Aspect ratio control in a TV? Is this the same thing as a when a widescreen TV stretches a 4:3 image to fit the screen, or is this something different? My first inclination is that it is different.

What are the implications of having or not having aspect ratio control in a TV. Am I correct in stating that this feature can be present in either one's TV or a DVD player? Does anyone know if the Toshiba 34HF83 has aspect ratio control?

Thanks

2. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

Aspect ratio control is a feature in all widescreen sets. Basically all it means is that the set will have various screen mode, often called zoom modes, to accomodate different types of materials (16x9 or 4x3 content) and the various aspect ratio's (1.33, 1.85, 2.35,etc.).

I have a Pioneer Elite 16x9, and it has 5 screen modes, Full, Natural Wide, Cinema Wide, Zoom, and 4x3 Normal. Depending on what I'm watching, I set the mode accordingly. For example, if I'm watching an anamaphorically enchanced, aka 16x9 encoded, dvd, I use Full mode. If I'm watching standard network television which is 1.33 aspect ratio, I use either Natural Wide or 4x3 Normal. If I'm watching a non-anamamphoric dvd or LD that is 1.85 ratio, I use Cinema Wide. If it is a 2.35 non-anamaphoric dvd or LD, I use Zoom. These various modes allow the TV to display the signal in it's proper aspect ratio.

All Toshiba's have various screen modes, called TheaterWide 1, TW2, Full, etc, that essentially server the same function as what I listed above. Certain dvd players, like the Panasonic RP91 can do aspect ratio control, but more often that not, aspect ratio control is performed by the display device. Hope this makes sense.

3. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

IMHO a wide screen TV that does not have aspect ratio control is lousy regardless of other features or price.

Three modes are absolutely required, 4:3 (has dark sidebars on a 16:9 screen), 16:9 (fills the 16:9 screen width) and a zoom (that takes the inner 16:9 worth of a 4:3 frame with letterbox picture within and fills the 16:9 screen width. There may be more than one zoom choic with different amounts of zoom, or modes that stretch the sides more than the middle, the latter I never use.

Having the DVD player create 4:3 mode while the TV is locked into 16:9 can work excellently but puts a higher bandwidth requirement on the cables and player circuits. Few players have it. The player must now preserve pixels 1/960'th the scan line width so that all 720 of them are preserved in the 4:3 area in the middle.

Practically everyone who owns a TV that locks into 16:9 for certain inputs has cursed the set.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm